FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions

Each year, students and faculty call Plant Services with questions. Here are a few of the most commonly asked questions, with answers and useful links.

No. Only building monitors or their alternates can submit work requests in academic buildings. In residential areas, area coordinators, assistant area coordinators and resident assistants can submit work requests. See Work Request Policy for more information.

These are box elder bugs. They're a nuisance, but they are not dangerous; your best bet is to ignore them. Visit the Oregon Extension Service fact sheet for more information.

Plant Services is not licensed to spray the interiors of buildings. Outside perimeters are sprayed on a rotating schedule and are not likely to keep spiders out anyway. However, residents may purchase RAID on their own. There are also sticky traps available at Plant Services on request. If you do set up a sticky trap, sticky traps must be set up on level surfaces and away from fabric.

Fortunately, there are really only two kinds of dangerous spiders in Oregon; most are pretty harmless. For more information about Oregon spiders, visit these fact sheets:

  1. Oregon Department of Agriculture: Spiders in Oregon
  2. Oregon Extension Service: Hobo Spiders

Recipe for Dealing with Sugar Ants

  • 1 Part Sugar
  • 1 Part Boric Acid - (Available at our local dry goods store)
  • 1 Tablespoon Yeast

Make little piles of this mixture around areas of infestation. In about 2 weeks the nest should be gone.

Send an email to your Building Monitor or Alternate, with the following information:

  • Your name (as you want it displayed)
  • Your title (optional)
  • Nameplate style (see list below)
  • Office number (location)

The styles of nameplates are:

  • Desktop (if you want a desktop nameplate, please specify if you need a deskplate holder)
  • Cubicle Wall
  • Paper insert for wall and door holders

You will need to obtain a George Fox University Key Authorization form, either from your department secretary or from Plant Services. Indicate the building or room where you need access, and get a signature from your Department Head and Building Monitor. Sign the form and return it to Plant Services. It generally takes 2-3 days to cut a new key; we will notify you via email when it is ready. Be sure to bring photo ID with you to pick up your key from Plant Services.

Twelve-passenger vans are available by reservation, only to George Fox University employees and students who plan to use them for a school function. Drivers must be members of George Fox, at least 21 years of age, and be on the University Approved Drivers list. To get onto the University Approved Drivers list, please take the online certification found here. For more information, please see our Vehicle Reservation page.

Power tools are not available for personal use. Basic hand tools and ladders are sometimes available; call the office to check availability. If available, tools would then be checked out from the Plant Services office.

Chemical information is found on Safety Data Sheets, referred to as an SDS. Any chemical in use on the George Fox University campus should have a Safety Data Sheet on file. To locate a specific chemical used by Plant Services, use the search bar in the SDS Folder. (If you have not logged into Google Docs, it will prompt you for your username and password. Use the search bar at the top of the window to search for the desired product name or chemical.) For a more detailed explanation of the SDS, as well as a list of common office and cleaning supplies, follow this link.