- Allied Health
- Applied Science
- Graphic Design
- Studio Arts
- Fashion Design & Interior Design
- Athletic Training
- Biblical Studies
- Cell & Molecular Biology
- Ecology & Field Biology
- General Biology
- Systems & Structural Biology
- Business majors
- Global Business
- Christian Ministries
- Church Recreation
- Educational Ministry
- Youth Ministry
- Cinema/Media Communication
- Audio Production
- Film Studies
- Cognitive Science
- Communication Arts
- Computer Science
- Elementary Education
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Family & Consumer Sciences
- Health and Human Performance
- Fitness Management
- Health Pre-teaching
- Physical Education Pre-teaching
- Information Systems
- Interdisciplinary Studies
- International Studies
- Theory and Composition
- Music Education
- Organizational Communication
Common Career Paths
- Corporate accounting
- Foresic and valuation services
- Management consulting
- Fraud prevention, detection and investigation
Now more than ever, businesses need high-quality accountants. As an accounting major at George Fox, you’ll receive a Christian college education that will yield career opportunities for a lifetime.
Our accounting classes stress oral and written communication skills and group problem-solving, along with the importance of professional responsibility, ethics and servant leadership. Upon graduation, you will be prepared to find work in the public, corporate, governmental and nonprofit arenas. Several of our graduates are employed by major accounting firms. Still others are employed in government and private industry or enrolled in graduate school.
Our graduates also have an impressive track record. In data released in the fall of 2010 by the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy, 95 percent of George Fox's accounting graduates passed all or some parts of the CPA exam in 2008, compared to an average of 69 percent for all other Oregon institutions.
Request information about the accounting major at George Fox University or apply now to begin your education at Oregon's Christian university, ranked as one of the top Christian colleges in the nation by Forbes.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment opportunities for accountants and auditors are expected to grow by 16 percent between 2010 and 2020, due in part to stricter laws and regulations in the financial sector, tighter lending standards and the continued globalization of business. Job opportunities should be especially favorable for those who have a professional certification, especially CPAs.
Firms that have hired accounting majors
- Ernst & Young
- Moss Adams
- Partner, Geffen Mersher & Company
- Grant Thornton
- Jones & Roth
- Pauly Rogers and Co.
- Scentsy, Inc.
- PPM Technologies
Internships accounting majors have held
- KPMG, Portland
- PricewaterHouseCoopers, Portland
- Deloitte, Portland
- Siemens Transportation Systems, Portland
- Evergreen Aviation and Space Museum, McMinnville, Ore.
- Parsons & Germer CPAs, Portland
- SP Newsprint Co., Newberg, Ore.
- Duck Pond Cellars, Dundee, Ore.
Real world learning opportunities
- Volunteer Income Tax Preparation:
This course is offered in conjunction with the IRS and the AARP. Students receive the skills and training necessary to prepare individual income tax returns, and then offer free tax preparation and e-filing services to low-tomoderate income individuals in the greater Newberg community.
- Internal control consulting projects:
As a required part of the Auditing class, students are required to solicit a local business for a free evaluation of internal control design and risks. The students deliver a final product that includes a written letter of recommendations as well as a finalized copy of the business’ internal control procedures and flow chart.
Points of Distinction
- Placement: Our small classes allow students to benefit from frequent one-to-one mentoring. The university’s 13-to-1 student-to-faculty ratio allows for plenty of personal attention.
- Quality: Students take a liberal-arts curriculum that helps broaden perspectives and contributes to an appreciation and understanding of all aspects of society. All classes are taught from a Christian worldview where faith is integrated with learning.
- Personal growth: We offer a network of alumni in positions of responsibility throughout the world.
- Relationship: Our professors are current in their fields and care about each student who comes through the door. Instructors are accessible both inside and outside the classroom.
Why George Fox?
- Christ-centered community
Our faith influences everything we do here, from the way our professors teach to the way we relate to one another and serve in the community.
- Global opportunities
Half of George Fox undergraduate students study abroad. That ranks in the top 50 out of 1,400 American colleges!
- Global Management Challenge
Each year, our business majors have the opportunity to compete in this team competition that uses management simulations to test students' corporate decision-making skills.
- Small classes
Our 13-to-1 student-to-faculty ratio means you’ll get to know your professors on a personal level.
- National recognition
George Fox University is a Christian university classified by U.S. News & World Report as a first-tier regional university, and Forbes ranks George Fox among the highest Christian colleges in the country.