Sensing a call to serve God and others in full-time Christian service? George Fox University’s bachelor’s degree in biblical studies enables graduates to succeed in ministry – whether in formal church settings, Christian camping, youth ministry, missions, education, parachurch organizations, or in graduate work in Bible and theology. Students will acquire an in-depth working knowledge of Scripture, its backgrounds and methods of interpretation.
At the center of the program is the conviction that the Christian faith is relevant to all of life. Our professors draw from the best of George Fox’s Quaker and evangelical heritage. Their research includes extensive study and writing on Jesus and the Gospels, biblical interpretation, wisdom literature, the spirituality of the Psalms, the Old Testament and the ancient languages of the Bible.
Request more information about the biblical studies major at George Fox University or schedule a visit to begin your education at Oregon's Christian university, ranked as one of the top Christian colleges in the nation by Forbes.
- Scholarships & Financial Aid
- Campus Virtual Tour
- Campus Life
- Prospective Students
- Visit Campus
- Contact Us
- Important Dates
Our graduates serve the church in many ways, ranging from teaching and pastoral roles to youth and camping ministries. Graduates of our program have reported a near 100 percent rate of finding opportunities for Christian ministry or gaining admission to the seminary/graduate school of their choice.
- Professor of Biblical Studies and Northwestern Semitic Languages, UCLA
- Professor of Theological Studies, Loyola Marymount University
- Chaplain, U.S. Armed Forces
- Bible Teacher, Westside Christian High School
- Pastor to Youth and Children, Dundee Covenant Church
- Assistant Professor of New Testament, Yale Divinity School
- Youth Pastor, Reedwood Friends Church
- St. Andrews University (Scotland)
- Yale Divinity School
- Princeton Theological Seminary
- Oxford University
- Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
- Tübingen University (Germany)
- Fuller Theological Seminary
- Denver Theological Seminary
- Duke Divinity School
- Asbury Theological Seminary
- University of Notre Dame
- Regent University
- George Fox Evangelical Seminary
- Edinburgh University (Scotland)
- Leadership and Discernment in Biblical and Practical Perspective
- Mikhail Bakhtin and Biblical Studies
- The Father-Son Relationship in John: Equal, Subordinate, or Neither?
- Peace and Conflict Resolution in the Bible
- Qualitative Study on Government Action for the Development of Youth in Jamaica
- Slavery and Sonship with Pauline Corpus
- Thomas Merton and the Authority of the Church
- First Corinthians 10:9 and its Theological Implications
- An Analysis of Contacts between the Gospels of John and Luke
"The religion department had a significant impact on my experience at George Fox. I not only developed a solid biblical foundation that enriched my personal relationship with God, I also gained practical tools to equip me for service and ministry. I cannot speak more highly of the religion department or its quality professors who modeled the godly character we aspired to build!"
- Rachel Madore ('09)
"The George Fox University religion program was pivotal to my spiritual and professional development. The professors demonstrated genuine care and intellectual vigor, which piqued my interest and changed the trajectory of my future aspirations. The friendship of fellow religion students, the challenging content of the courses, and the skillful teaching of religion faculty has prepared me well for pastoral ministry and doctoral research."
- Jon Kershner ('01)
Points of Distinction
- Receive solid training in ancient biblical languages.
- Learn from faculty who have years of pastoral experience and are internationally known published scholars.
- Be a part of a program rooted in rigorous study of the biblical text in its original contexts and devoted to the meaningful application of biblical truth with contemporary relevance.
- Graduate one semester earlier if you attend George Fox Evangelical Seminary.
Why George Fox?
Our faith influences everything we do here, from the way our professors teach to the way we relate to one another and serve in the community.
Nearly half of George Fox undergraduate students study abroad. That ranks in the top 60 out of 1,800 American colleges!
Our 14-to-1 student-to-faculty ratio means you'll get to know your professors on a personal level.
George Fox University is a Christian university classified by U.S. News & World Report as a first-tier regional university, and Forbes ranks George Fox among the highest Christian colleges in the country.