Common Career Paths
- Pastoral and youth ministry
- Bible translation
- Christian camping
- Military chaplaincy
Sensing a call to serve God and others in full-time Christian service? George Fox University’s bachelor’s degree in Christian Ministries enables graduates to succeed in ministry, whether in formal church settings, Christian camping, youth ministry, missions, education or parachurch organizations, or in service-related professions like nursing, counseling or social work.
Possible fields of emphasis include educational ministry, missions, youth ministry and church recreation.
At the center of the program is the conviction that the Christian faith is relevant to all of life. Our professors draw from the best of George Fox’s evangelical and Quaker heritage. Their research includes historical social justice issues; theological and historical studies in the Wesleyan tradition; and Christianity and culture.
Choose from two concentrations:
Students interested in serving with a missions organization have the option of taking courses that include Cross-Cultural Christian Outreach, World Religions and Issues in Contemporary Missions as part of a missions concentration within the Christian ministries major. Students may also customize their study, choosing from among courses that include Christian Discipling, Perspectives in Christian Education and Theological Foundations of Christian Ministry.
Students within the Christian ministries major can focus their studies on youth ministry by opting for a concentration that offers four classes specific to this field: Foundations of Youth Ministry, Youth Culture and Ministry, Counseling, and Field Experience.
Request information about the Christian ministries major at George Fox University or apply now to begin your education at Oregon's Christian university, ranked as one of the top Christian colleges in the nation by Forbes.
Christian Ministries majors will find themselves both qualified and sought after for positions in churches, including youth and educational ministers, associate pastors and other pastoral roles. They have frequently enjoyed positions in camping and recreational programs, and will also find an easy transition to training in counseling at the certificate or graduate level.
- Night Ministry, Portland Rescue Mission
- Nurse, Sisters of Providence
- Youth Minister, 2nd Street Community Church
- Dentist, La Clinica
- Translator, Wycliffe Bible Translators
- Chaplain, United States Air Force
- Adjunct Professor, University of Notre Dame
- Missionary in Indonesia, Wycliffe Bible Translators
- Principal, Newman Catholic Middle/High School
- English Teacher in Rwanda, Rwanda Yearly Meeting of Friends
- Gordon-Conwell Seminary
- University of Edinburgh
- Princeton Theological Seminary
- Dallas Theological Seminary
- Yale Divinity School
- University of Notre Dame
- Eastern University
- University of Nebraska
- University of Portland, School of Nursing
- Oregon Health & Science University, School of Dentistry
- George Fox Evangelical Seminary
- Mission Year
- 2nd Street Community Church, Newberg, Ore.
- Dundee Covenant Church, Dundee, Ore.
- Love, INC, Newberg, Ore.
- Friendsview Retirement Community, Newberg, Ore.
- Minuteman Community
Points of Distinction
- Faculty members have real-life ministry experience.
- Our programs prepare students for a life of service, not only “professional” ministry positions.
- Our faculty is gender-inclusive.
- Programs include perspectives on social justice issues, peace and reconciliation.
- Students are prepared for graduate and post-graduate studies.
Why George Fox?
- Christ-centered community
Our faith influences everything we do here, from the way our professors teach to the way we relate to one another and serve in the community.
- Global opportunities
Nearly half of George Fox undergraduate students study abroad. That ranks in the top 60 out of 1,800 American colleges!
- Small classes
Our 14-to-1 student-to-faculty ratio means you’ll get to know your professors on a personal level.
- National recognition
George Fox University is a Christian university classified by U.S. News & World Report as a first-tier regional university, and Forbes ranks George Fox among the highest Christian colleges in the country.
Christian Ministries Student Experiences
"Being a part of the Religious Studies program at George Fox University brought wholeness to my college experience. Professors in the Religious Studies department didn’t just care about the growth of my intellect … they cared about my spiritual development, too. I believe it is because of their unique mix of creative teaching balanced with spiritual mentoring that I now feel equally equipped as a youth pastor or teacher!"
- Tyler Hale ('08)
"GFU provided a safe place for me to be challenged. At the same time my professors were encouraging me to dig deeper and ask tougher and more practical questions, they were also inviting me into their lives and homes. This department taught me more about what authentic community looks like, and how powerful Christ is within that context."
- Taylor Martin ('08)