With an economics degree from George Fox University, you will be equipped for a career in the business, government or education sectors. The economics major is ideal for those anticipating graduate study in law, business administration, public policy, public administration or economics.
Economics is the study of how human societies coordinate to meet needs. It is thus a science concerned with decision-making, allocation, social customs and political realities. It draws upon philosophy, mathematics, history and other social sciences to study issues such as:
- Individual and household choice making
- The behavior of firms and industries
- The allocative and regulatory roles of government
- The social challenges of economic growth, distribution, unemployment, inflation, globalization and environmental issues
Request more information about the economics major at George Fox University or schedule a visit to begin your education at Oregon's Christian university, ranked as one of the top Christian colleges in the nation by Forbes.
- Scholarships & Financial Aid
- Campus Virtual Tour
- Campus Life
- Prospective Students
- Visit Campus
- Contact Us
- Important Dates
Because of the strong quantitative skills developed, economists find employment across a wide spectrum of fields ranging from banking and finance to research and teaching. Those with a master’s degree or PhD will likely stand out from their competitors and should receive offers for the most desirable job opportunities.
- VP, Credit Administration, Bank of the Cascades
- Sales Executive, KPD Insurance
- Financial Advisor, Ameriprise Financial Services
- Program Operations Manager, AECOM (Libya)
- Program Associate, United Nations Office on Drug and Crime
- Financial Representative, Country Financial
- Credit Manager of Strategic Client Group, Washington Mutual
- Professor of Economics, Olivet Nazarene University
- Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco (Portland Branch)]
- Federal Reserve Bank (Washington, D.C.)
- University of Illinois
- Oregon State University
- Northern Illinois University
- Azusa Pacific University
- Paris School of Business
- City University London
- The Ohio State University
- Syracuse University
- Colorado State University
- Texas Tech University
- San Diego State University
- Marcus & Millichap Real Estate Investment Services
- Malaysian Government office
- Department of Commerce (Washington D.C.)
- United States International Trade Commission
- Consulting for Victoria’s Lavender on pricing policies
- Economics instruction at Hillsboro High School
- Study abroad at Oxford
- Students can attend multiple speaking events featuring Nobel Prize winning economists.
“The George Fox School of Business has provided me with an environment to learn how to be an effective business leader in today’s market. My professors have been intentional in building personal relationships with me to help identify areas where I will be successful and find a career that I will enjoy and find fulfilling.”
- Eric Barton (’12)
“Perhaps the greatest thing I have received from my education at George Fox is confidence. I am confident that I will know how to handle any type of situation I face later in life and that I will be able to integrate my faith in the world of business.”
- Luke Thompson (’12)
Points of Distinction
- Small, student-focused classes allow for personal attention from professors.
- Professors emphasize the human and economic justice considerations of economics – not just the bottom line.
- A strong global business focus ensures a well-rounded education and gives graduates a competitive edge in the job market.
- Students will learn from faculty who are active in their field and have been published in top-tier business journals.
- Economics courses are balanced with other liberal arts disciplines for a well-rounded education.
Why George Fox?
Our faith influences everything we do here, from the way our professors teach to the way we relate to one another and serve in the community.
Nearly half of George Fox undergraduate students study abroad. That ranks in the top 60 out of 1,800 American colleges!
George Fox University is a Christian university classified by U.S. News & World Report as a first-tier regional university, and Forbes ranks George Fox among the highest Christian colleges in the country.
ACBSP is the premier accrediting association for business schools and programs with a focus on teaching excellence and what occurs in the classroom.