- Allied Health
- Applied Science
- Graphic Design
- Studio Arts
- Fashion Design & Interior Design
- Athletic Training
- Biblical Studies
- Cell & Molecular Biology
- Ecology & Field Biology
- General Biology
- Systems & Structural Biology
- Business majors
- Global Business
- Christian Ministries
- Church Recreation
- Educational Ministry
- Youth Ministry
- Cinema/Media Communication
- Audio Production
- Film Studies
- Cognitive Science
- Communication Arts
- Computer Science
- Elementary Education
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Family & Consumer Sciences
- Health and Human Performance
- Fitness Management
- Health Pre-teaching
- Physical Education Pre-teaching
- Information Systems
- Interdisciplinary Studies
- International Studies
- Theory and Composition
- Music Education
- Organizational Communication
Elementary Education Major
Common Career Paths
- Elementary teacher
- Preschool teacher
- ESOL teacher
- Educational specialist / support personnel
- Instructional coach
Do you dream about mentoring young people and making an impact on the next generation? Then a career in elementary education could be exactly what you’re looking for.
Our elementary education majors go on to work in elementary and early-childhood programs throughout Oregon and the rest of the country. A bachelor’s degree in elementary education also prepares you for a career of influence. Many of us remember our elementary school teachers and can appreciate the impact they had on our lives. For this reason, few careers offer such rewarding life experiences.
Many universities only offer a graduate-level fifth-year program in elementary education. At George Fox, you can achieve initial licensure for elementary education – at the early childhood and elementary levels – by completing our four-year program and passing the required tests. You can also add the English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) endorsement to your teaching license. This endorsement is highly sought after in school districts across the country and will greatly increase your employment prospects.
What further distinguishes our program is the fact we offer a Christian college environment that encourages not only academic – but spiritual – growth.
Request information about the elementary education major at George Fox University or apply now to begin your education at Oregon's Christian university, ranked as one of the top Christian colleges in the nation by Forbes.
Job prospects are best for teachers in high demand fields such as math, science and bilingual education, and in less desirable urban and rural areas. The Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that employment for teachers is expected to grow by 16 percent through 2018, with a large number of jobs becoming available as older teachers move into retirement.
Positions elementary education majors have held
- Teacher, Mabel Rush Elementary, Newberg, Ore.
- Teacher, Memorial Elementary, McMinnville, Ore.
- Principal, Linus Pauling Middle School, Corvallis, Ore.
- Teacher, Lincoln Elementary, Woodburn, Ore.
- Teacher, Harrisburg Elementary, Harrisburg, Wash.
- Teacher, Newby Elementary, McMinnville, Ore.
- Teachers in districts throughout Oregon, Washington, California, Idaho, Alaska, Hawaii and across the U.S.
- Elementary and missions teachers in China, Japan, Korea, Morocco, Austria, Swaziland and other countries around the world
Graduate schools to which elementary education majors have been accepted
- Baylor University
- University of Pittsburgh
- Seattle Pacific University
- George Fox University
- Portland State University
- Western Oregon University
- University of Colorado, Denver
Districts in which elementary education majors have student taught
- Salem School District
- Woodburn School District
- Newberg School District
- Yamhill-Carlton School District
- Sherwood School District
- Portland School District
- McMinnville School District
- Tigard-Tualatin School District
- Tillamook School District
Points of Distinction
- Take ESOL courses to better meet the needs of all students and improve your standing in the job market.
- Opportunity to gain field experience by engaging in after-school program at local elementary school.
- Build close relationships as part of a cohort that includes 20 students or fewer.
- Develop a strong foundation in general education subjects: literature, history, science and the arts.
- Receive placement as a student teacher in a co-teaching environment (last two semesters).
Why George Fox?
- Christ-centered community
Our faith influences everything we do here, from the way our professors teach to the way we relate to one another and serve in the community.
- Global opportunities
Half of George Fox undergraduate students study abroad. That ranks in the top 50 out of 1,400 American colleges!
- Small classes
Our 13-to-1 student-to-faculty ratio means you’ll get to know your professors on a personal level.
- National recognition
George Fox University is a Christian university classified by U.S. News & World Report as a first-tier regional university, and Forbes ranks George Fox among the highest Christian colleges in the country.