Common Career Paths
- High school PE or health instructor
- Athletic team coach
- Fitness center owner/employee
- Anatomy or biology teacher
- Athletic administrator
Are you interested in sports, exercise science or wellness? George Fox University’s health and human performance major – with one of its three concentrations – gives you a comprehensive science-based education and clinical foundation in a Christian college setting.
Study health and nutrition, the biomechanical principles of human motion and motor learning, and gain techniques for teaching skills, stunts, games and sports.
In addition to the health-related courses, you’ll take general education classes ranging from Bible and humanities to communication and mathematics.
Choose from three concentrations:
Ideal for those interested in working in health clubs, corporate and personal fitness instructor settings, or community recreation programs. Upon graduation, you’ll be ready to operate your own fitness facility or work as a personal trainer in private, public and corporate fitness centers.
Take the first step toward becoming a teacher. Curriculum emphasizes a wellness theme that incorporates individual responsibility and promotes a healthy lifestyle.
Physical Education Pre-teaching*
Focuses on skills acquisition and teaching methodology pertaining to team and individual sports and lifetime recreation.
* Those who graduate with one of the two pre-teaching concentrations then enroll in a master of arts in teaching program. Both concentrations, when combined with an MAT program, prepare you to teach K-12 health or physical education or to obtain positions in community, public health, and health promotion settings.
Request information about the health and human performance major at George Fox University or apply now to begin your education at Oregon's Christian university, ranked as one of the top Christian colleges in the nation by Forbes.
Employment of health educators is projected to grow 21 percent through 2022, faster than the average for all occupations, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. This will be due in part to national efforts to improve health outcomes and reduce healthcare costs. Employment of coaches is expected to rise 15 percent during the same time period, due in part to increasing participation in high school and college sports. Fitness instructors should see a growth rate in their field of 13 percent.
- Owner, Progressive Fitness
- Anatomy Teacher, Newberg High School
- Biology Teacher, Newberg High School
- High school PE teachers: Newberg, Sherwood, Sunset, David Douglas, Barlow, Salem Academy, Horizon Christian, The Dalles, West Linn
- High school health teachers: Newberg, Sherwood, Salem Academy, Horizon Christian, West Linn, Oregon City
- George Fox University, M.Ed and MAT
- Arizona Health Sciences University
- Portland State
- Oregon State
- Western Oregon
- Concordia University
- Fitness management majors are required to procure an internship at a fitness facility for a total of at least 240 hours and to keep a journal of their work-related activities.
- Students who choose the physical education pre-teaching concentration are often asked to help in both public and private school classes.
- Students concentrating in both health pre-teaching and physical education pre-teaching who aspire to a career in coaching are often sought out to fill openings in youth and junior high teams as well as local youth leagues.
Points of Distinction
- Students receive strong exercise science preparation.
- Activity specific peer teaching opportunities are available.
- Highly sought internships are available locally.
Why George Fox?
- Christ-centered community
Our faith influences everything we do here, from the way our professors teach to the way we relate to one another and serve in the community.
- Global opportunities
Nearly half of George Fox undergraduate students study abroad. That ranks in the top 60 out of 1,800 American colleges!
- Small classes
Our 14-to-1 student-to-faculty ratio means you'll get to know your professors on a personal level.
- National recognition
George Fox University is a Christian university classified by U.S. News & World Report as a first-tier regional university, and Forbes ranks George Fox among the highest Christian colleges in the country.
Health & Human Performance Student Experiences
"Studying HHP has been so rewarding. I feel that my personal curiosity about how the body works and why we function the way we do during exercise or when there is stress on the body has been thoroughly explained. Classes like Kinesiology and Exercise Physiology break down what is happening while classes like Contemporary Health Issues and Drug Education explain some of the social aspects of health. Professors and peers have greatly shaped my experience at Fox and I have grown academically, spiritually and personally in my time here."
- Kira Wright (’15)
“Transferring to George Fox and studying HHP was one of the best decisions I have made. Health and human performance is something I have been very passionate about because I love learning about the body and what it is capable of doing. My time here at George Fox has been so rewarding. The classes and professors have all helped prepare me for a future career in personal training and I couldn’t be more excited. I have learned so much here and I am so thankful for that.”
- Maddi Storino (’15)