Common Career Paths
- Worship leader
- Private instructor
- Film/video composer
- Professional musician
- Music teacher
As a music major at George Fox University, you will study a Christian curriculum that equips you with the knowledge and experience necessary to follow your chosen musical vocation and minister in your community.
Great musicians build on tradition and the performances that inspire them. George Fox integrates music history, theory, technique and application to help you become the musician you want to be. Improve listening skills through ear training. Examine form, composition and technique through analysis. Get the musical background you need to move from student to performer. Build on your knowledge to achieve a personal style and expertise.
Our talented faculty provides private instruction in voice, string, brass, woodwind, percussion and keyboard instruments, as well as ensemble-style opportunities for practice and improvement. Focus on choral, band or individual performances, or enjoy versatility in all three. Our music degree has a general concentration as well as concentrations in performance, composition and preteaching.
Request information about the music major at George Fox University or apply now to begin your education at Oregon's Christian university, ranked as one of the top Christian colleges in the nation by Forbes.
- Metropolitan Opera Company, New York, N.Y.
- Recanati Piano Academy, Recanati, Italy
- Bosendorfer Hall, Vienna, Austria
- Children’s Music Theater Company, Vancouver, Wash.
- Private teaching studios, various locations
- George Fox University, Newberg, Ore.
- Biola University, La Mirada, Calif.
- Newberg Friends Church
- Portland Opera
- USD Media
- Portland International Piano Series
- Longy School of Music
- University of Oregon School of Music
- University of Northern Colorado College of Performing Arts
- University of Portland
- Pacific Northwest Film Scoring Program at Seattle Film Institute
- Cincinnati Conservatory of Music
- Portland State University
- Louisiana State University
- Indiana University
- University of Oklahoma
- Willamette University
Points of Distinction
- Gain practical experience in a variety of ensembles
- Opportunities for internships and service learning
- Cooperative atmosphere among students and faculty
- Opportunities for performing and teaching privately off campus
Why George Fox?
- Christ-centered community
Our faith influences everything we do here, from the way our professors teach to the way we relate to one another and serve in the community.
- Global opportunities
Nearly half of George Fox undergraduate students study abroad. That ranks in the top 60 out of 1,800 American colleges!
- Small classes
Our 13.6-to-1 student-to-faculty ratio means you'll get to know your professors on a personal level.
- National recognition
George Fox University is a Christian university classified by U.S. News & World Report as a first-tier regional university, and Forbes ranks George Fox among the highest Christian colleges in the country.
Music Student Experiences
“My experience at George Fox was one that was rooted in community. When I graduated high school I was unsure whether I would attend Fox or a music school in Boston. I felt God leading me to go to Fox for at least a year, but I didn’t know if I would stay longer than that. By December of my freshman year I knew that I would stay at Fox, mostly because of the people.”
- Nolan Staples('14)