Common Career Paths
- Hospital-based nursing
- Home health and hospice nursing
- Clinic nursing
- Nursing education
- School nursing
- Global health nursing
If you want to find a major that strikes a balance between caring for others and sound scientific knowledge, consider the George Fox nursing program.
As a nursing major at George Fox, you will prepare yourself for a rewarding career in a field that combines medical expertise and compassion. Graduates of our nursing program go on to work in clinics, hospitals, research facilities, doctors’ offices and other health care positions throughout the country. Our nursing graduates are also equipped to pursue graduate education and fulfill the need for nurses in advanced practice, higher education and management.
The program has been granted full accreditation from the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) and the Oregon State Board of Nursing. Upon completion of the nursing program, you will be eligible to take the NCLEX-RN state-licensing exam. Our graduates are overwhelmingly successful on this exam. Between 2010 and 2012, 98.5 percent of our nursing graduates who took the exam passed.
What further distinguishes our program is the fact we offer a Christian college environment that encourages not only academic – but spiritual – growth.
Request information about the nursing major at George Fox University or apply now to begin your education at Oregon's Christian university, ranked as one of the top Christian colleges in the nation by Forbes.
Registered nurses (RNs) constitute the largest health care occupation in the United States, with 2.6 million jobs. Registered nurses will have the opportunity to work in a variety of clinical and non-clinical settings including hospitals, ambulatory care clinics, nursing homes, community settings and academic institutions. The Oregon Employment Department estimates that registered nurse employment will grow by 22 percent between 2008 and 2018, with a projected 6,771 new job openings for registered nurses over this period.
- Surgical Unit, Seattle Children’s Hospital
- Pediatrics, Loma Linda Medical Center
- Surgery, Silverton Hospital
- Oncology, Midland Memorial
- Adult Medical/Surgical, OHSU
- Labor and Delivery, Evergreen Hospital
- NICU, UCLA Medical Center
- MD Anderson Cancer Center
- Family Birth Center, Legacy Emanuel
- Bone Marrow Transplant Unit, OHSU
- ER, Salem Hospital
- Labor & Delivery, Silverton Hospital
- Medical/Surgical, Pali Momi Medical Center
- Orthopedics, Salem Hospital
- Pediatrics, Kadlec Regional Medical Center
- Medical/Surgical, Providence Newberg
- OHSU, Family Medicine Nurse Practitioner
- Loma Linda University, Nurse Anesthesia
- Washington State University, Nurse Practitioner Mental Health
- Crown College, International Leadership with emphasis in Community Development
- Cross-cultural study nursing experience in Ethiopia
- 800-1000 hours of clinical experience outside the classroom including hospitals, clinics, home health and hospice, local schools, correctional facilities
Points of Distinction
- Graduates are prepared to enter the profession with a commitment to promoting health with excellence and integrity, and as imitators of Christ through caring with compassion and hope.
- Students are taught to serve as leaders in providing holistic health care to a global community.
- An attitude of lifelong learning is fostered in a foundation of liberal arts education.
- Students are prepared for graduate education.
Why George Fox?
- Christ-centered community
Our faith influences everything we do here, from the way our professors teach to the way we relate to one another and serve in the community.
- Global opportunities
Nearly half of George Fox undergraduate students study abroad. That ranks in the top 50 out of 1,400 American colleges!
- Small classes
Our 13.6-to-1 student-to-faculty ratio means you’ll get to know your professors on a personal level.
- National Recognition
George Fox University is a Christian university classified by U.S. News & World Report as a first-tier regional university, and Forbes ranks George Fox among the highest Christian colleges in the country.
Nursing Student Experiences
"The support my professors provided throughout my nursing education meant a lot. There were several moments when I could tell the faculty was interested in what was going on in my life, and that they were eager to see me succeed. This I think is what makes George Fox an incredible school."
- Emily Christiansen ('08)