Looking for a degree that gives you versatility in the job market? George Fox University’s bachelor’s degree in philosophy enables graduates to succeed in any field they choose – whether in education, law, ministry, social service, or careers in government or politics.
Philosophical skills are central to the active life of the mind. The analytical and communication skills developed in this major give you a strong foundation for the workplace or further study in seminary, law school, or other academic and professional fields.
At the center of the program is the conviction that the Christian faith is relevant to all of life. Our professors draw from the best of George Fox’s evangelical and Quaker heritage in their research, which includes care for the earth, Christian apologetics, and the philosophy of peace and war.
Request more information about the philosophy major at George Fox University or schedule a visit to begin your education at Oregon's Christian university, ranked as one of the top Christian colleges in the nation by Forbes.
A classic liberal arts major, philosophy prepares students for a wide variety of options in graduate school, including history, law, law enforcement, literature, philosophy and theology. Skills in critical thinking and clear communication also prepare students well for careers in business and industry, education, ministry and politics.
- Attorney, Brown, Tarlow, Bridges, Palmer & Stone
- Professor, George Fox University
- Technician, Apple Computers
- Editorial Assistant, Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion
- Tutor, Wyzant Tutoring and Coaching
- MCAT Preparation Instructor, Kaplan, Inc.
- Technical Writer/Editor, Jefferson Title Company
- Therapeutic Horseback Riding Instructor
- American University
- Notre Dame University
- Harvard Law School
- Baylor University
- Washington State University
- City University of New York
- University of St Andrews
- Oregon Health & Science University
- Portland State University
- University of California, Hastings College of the Law
- Ministry Intern, University Presbyterian Church
- Volunteer, Christian Peacemaker Teams
- Richter Research: Voices of Peace: A Cross-Cultural Study and Practice of Peace Poetry
- Richter Research: Who is My Neighbor? A Study in Peace and Art
- Richter Research: Ontology, The Holocaust, Levinas and Theology
- Richter Research: The Moral Nature of Voluntary Assisted-Suicide
"Studying philosophy at George Fox transformed my worldview and prepared me for life’s complexity. Philosophy disciplined my thinking, expanded my perspective, and enhanced my ability to navigate and solve complex problems. In the corporate realm, the ability to write logically, craft a persuasive argument and think on my feet has proved indispensable. I cannot imagine a better preparation for my educational pursuits at Harvard Law School or, finally, for building a faith that can thrive in an increasingly cosmopolitan world."
- Ron Davis ('02)
"During my time as a philosophy major at George Fox, I gained lifelong thinking and writing skills that carried me through law school and now serve me every day as an attorney. Even more valuable were the professor provoked discussions of faith and its foundations. My spiritual life has benefited ever since."
- Richard Brown ('01)
Points of Distinction
- Professors focus on making people wise, not just on theory.
- Students get the benefit of learning from a theological worldview.
- Our curriculum focuses on practical, grounded philosophy.
- Prayer and conceptual work is integrated into more traditional methods of learning.
Why George Fox?
Our faith influences everything we do here, from the way our professors teach to the way we relate to one another and serve in the community.
Nearly half of George Fox undergraduate students study abroad. That ranks in the top 60 out of 1,800 American colleges!
Our 14-to-1 student-to-faculty ratio means you'll get to know your professors on a personal level.
George Fox University is a Christian university classified by U.S. News & World Report as a first-tier regional university, and Forbes ranks George Fox among the highest Christian colleges in the country.