- Allied Health
- Applied Science
- Graphic Design
- Studio Arts
- Fashion Design & Interior Design
- Athletic Training
- Biblical Studies
- Cell & Molecular Biology
- Ecology & Field Biology
- General Biology
- Systems & Structural Biology
- Business majors
- Global Business
- Christian Ministries
- Church Recreation
- Educational Ministry
- Youth Ministry
- Cinema/Media Communication
- Audio Production
- Film Studies
- Cognitive Science
- Communication Arts
- Computer Science
- Elementary Education
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Family & Consumer Sciences
- Health and Human Performance
- Fitness Management
- Health Pre-teaching
- Physical Education Pre-teaching
- Information Systems
- Interdisciplinary Studies
- International Studies
- Theory and Composition
- Music Education
- Organizational Communication
Common Career Paths
- International peace work
- Pastoral ministry
Looking for a degree that gives you versatility in the job market? George Fox University’s bachelor’s degree in philosophy enables graduates to succeed in any field they choose – whether in education, law, ministry, social service, or careers in government or politics.
Philosophical skills are central to the active life of the mind. The analytical and communication skills developed in this major give you a strong foundation for the workplace or further study in seminary, law school, or other academic and professional fields.
At the center of the program is the conviction that the Christian faith is relevant to all of life. Our professors draw from the best of George Fox’s evangelical and Quaker heritage in their research, which includes care for the earth, Christian apologetics, and the philosophy of peace and war.
Request information about the philosophy major at George Fox University or apply now to begin your education at Oregon's Christian university, ranked as one of the top Christian colleges in the nation by Forbes.
A classic liberal arts major, philosophy prepares students for a wide variety of options in graduate school, including history, law, law enforcement, literature, philosophy and theology. Skills in critical thinking and clear communication also prepare students well for careers in business and industry, education, ministry and politics.
Selected positions offered to philosophy majors
- Attorney, Brown, Tarlow, Bridges, Palmer & Stone
- Professor, George Fox University
- Technician, Apple Computers
- Editorial Assistant, Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion
- Tutor, Wyzant Tutoring and Coaching
- MCAT Preparation Instructor, Kaplan, Inc.
- Technical Writer/Editor, Jefferson Title Company
- Therapeutic Horseback Riding Instructor
Selected graduate schools to which philosophy majors have been accepted
- American University
- Notre Dame University
- Harvard Law School
- Baylor University
- Washington State University
- City University of New York
- University of St Andrews
- Oregon Health & Science University
- Portland State University
- University of California, Hastings College of the Law
Internships and research projects philosophy majors have completed
- Ministry Intern, University Presbyterian Church
- Volunteer, Christian Peacemaker Teams
- Richter Research: Voices of Peace: A Cross-Cultural Study and Practice of Peace Poetry
- Richter Research: Who is My Neighbor? A Study in Peace and Art
- Richter Research: Ontology, The Holocaust, Levinas and Theology
- Richter Research: The Moral Nature of Voluntary Assisted-Suicide
Points of Distinction
- Professors focus on making people wise, not just on theory.
- Students get the benefit of learning from a theological worldview.
- Our curriculum focuses on practical, grounded philosophy.
- Prayer and conceptual work is integrated into more traditional methods of learning.
Why George Fox?
- Christ-centered community
Our faith influences everything we do here, from the way our professors teach to the way we relate to one another and serve in the community.
- Global opportunities
Nearly half of George Fox undergraduate students study abroad. That ranks in the top 50 out of 1,400 American colleges!
- Small classes
Our 13-to-1 student-to-faculty ratio means you’ll get to know your professors on a personal level.
- National recognition
George Fox University is a Christian university classified by U.S. News & World Report as a first-tier regional university, and Forbes ranks George Fox among the highest Christian colleges in the country.