Common Career Paths
- Clinical psychologist
- Residential youth counselor
- School psychologist
- Human resources
- School mental health/behavior
As a psychology major, you will learn how to critically evaluate theories of human behavior and explore research methods that will further your understanding of people. Theory is put into practice as you are mentored by faculty that include trained clinicians in private practice. You’ll also get the opportunity to join a research team and participate in various projects, and will graduate prepared for a career in the social services or business, as well as for graduate school.
Students will benefit from the presence of our doctor of psychology (PsyD) program, one of only a handful of Christian psychology degree programs in the nation accredited by the American Psychological Association. This gives you access to a larger group of faculty members, more library resources, and opportunities to conduct research with PsyD faculty and graduate students.
Our psychology program also gives you options. Would you like to earn a BA or a BS? Our BA degree has a greater emphasis on applied learning than does the BS, which places a greater emphasis on scientific methodology.
Request information about the psychology major at George Fox University or apply now to begin your education at Oregon's Christian university, ranked as one of the top Christian colleges in the nation by Forbes.
Typically, about 23 percent of psychology majors go to graduate school after receiving a bachelor’s degree. Another 70 percent find employment in a variety of fields, including management/business, mental health care, sales and education. Psychology majors are taught critical thinking, communication and people skills, and an understanding of human relationships. These proficiencies allow them to adapt to a variety of employment settings.
- Program Manager, Chehalem Youth & Family Services
- Youth Treatment Specialist, Chehalem Youth & Family Services
- Branch Manager, Bank of America
- English Teacher, Indonesia
- Child Advocate, Advocacy for Blind Children
- Creative Director, Colure Weddings
- Math Teacher, St. Louis Public Schools
- Treatment Specialist, Trillium Family Services
- Admissions Counselor, George Fox University
- Development Officer, George Fox University
- Research Assistant, OHSU
- Research Assistant, Neurocognition Trials
- University of Oregon
- Indiana University
- Columbia University
- George Fox University
- Utah State University
- Azusa Pacific University
- Chaminade University
- UC Irvine
- Fuller Theological Seminary
- Seattle Pacific University
- University of Nevada, Las Vegas
- Loma Linda University School of Medicine
- Uppsala University (Sweden)
- University of Nevada, Reno
- Fresno State University
- Stanford University
- City Team Ministries
- Chehalem Youth and Family Services
- Love INC
- Juliette’s House
- CARES Northwest
- Friendsview Retirement Community
- Mabel Rush Intensive Learning Classroom
- Joan Austin Elementary
- Transitions: Newberg High School
- Forward Stride
- Hazelden-Springbrook Substance Abuse Treatment Center
- Head Start: Child Development Center
- Youth Guidance Association
- Gales Creek Foundation
- Doernbecher Children’s Hospital, Pediatric Acute Care Center
- Camp Kiwanilong Summer Youth Program
- Oregon Health Sciences University, Harold Schnitzer Diabetes Center
Points of Distinction
- Faculty who want to disciple/mentor students
- Emphasis on field experience and firsthand research experience
- Well-designed curriculum, facilitating student preparation
- Emphasis on communication and interpersonal skills
- A broad base of psychological coursework
- Faculty who integrate faith with their field and care about the spiritual growth of their students
Why George Fox?
- Christ-centered community
Our faith influences everything we do here, from the way our professors teach to the way we relate to one another and serve in the community.
- Global opportunities
Nearly half of George Fox undergraduate students study abroad. That ranks in the top 60 out of 1,800 American colleges!
- Small classes
Our 14-to-1 student-to-faculty ratio means you’ll get to know your professors on a personal level.
- National recognition
George Fox University is a Christian university classified by U.S. News & World Report as a first-tier regional university, and Forbes ranks George Fox among the highest Christian colleges in the country.
Psychology Student Experiences
“The psychology program at George Fox University has prepared me to begin a successful career in mental health right out of college. I feel that the personal attention I received from each professor encouraged me to excel personally and academically throughout school. In fact, the personal touch of the psychology program is what separates it from any other school I was looking at. It’s hard to find such great professors that want to meet one-on-one and be involved in their students’ academic life, but I found it here.”
- Jacob Lowen (’11)
“The psychology department at George Fox undoubtedly helped prepare me for work in the field post-graduation. The faculty are approachable, knowledgeable, and deeply care about me and my education. The help and support they offered me was invaluable.”
- Julianne Johnson (’11)