George Fox University hosts a scholarship event each year for prospective students to compete for awards based on leadership and/or academic disciplines. Participation in Scholarship Competition is by invitation only.
Qualified applicants will be invited to participate in leadership and/or academic interviews as part of the Scholarship Competition, either Jan. 29 & 30 or Feb. 5 & 6, 2016. Leadership interviews will take place on Friday, and academic competitions will be held on Saturday. Students who attend can earn up to $2,500 in leadership scholarships and up to $2,500 in academic scholarships for a total potential award of up to $5,000 from Scholarship Competition.
Scholarship Competition Dates
Friday-Saturday, Jan. 29-30
Feb. 5-6, 2016
Scholarship Competition Webinar
Miss our Scholarship Competition webinar? No problem. Watch the presentation in its entirety using the video below.
Eligibility & Nov. 15 Deadline
To qualify for consideration, you must have a 3.0 cumulative GPA and submit the following items by Nov. 15.
- A completed application for admission. You can either apply online, via the Common Application, or you can download the application as a PDF. To see what makes a complete application, please visit the application requirements page.
- A complete Scholarship Competition Application Form
Important Eligibility Notes:
- Academic and Leadership awards are available to incoming first-year college students and college transfers.
- Students who qualify for any amount of tuition remission at George Fox are not eligible for Scholarship Competition.
- Students who are not US citizens or permanent residents are not eligible for Scholarship Competition. Information about international student admissions and financial aid is available here.
Deadline for Admission & Scholarship Competition Applications
All admissions application materials (including your Scholarship Competition Application) must be postmarked by Nov. 15. Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee that the SAT or ACT scores earned after the October test dates will reach our office by Nov. 15. Scores must arrive by that date to be used in determining Scholarship Competition eligibility. Later scores may still be used for application for admission and financial aid purposes.
Scholarship Competition Invitations will be mailed
All Scholarship Competition invitations guaranteed to be mailed by this date.
Scholarship Competition R.S.V.P. Due
R.S.V.P directions will be included in Scholarship Competition Invitations.
Students must be present at Scholarship Competition to compete for all scholarships associated with this event.
Scholarship Competition Award Results are Mailed
For additional information regarding Scholarship Competition, check out the Frequently Asked Questions section or contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.
Academic scholarships are available to incoming first-year college students and college transfers.
Each student may participate in one academic competition and should reflect the student's academic interest. Scholarships range from $1,000 to $2,500 per year.
The Competitive Academic Scholarship is automatically renewable. All award winners must maintain a 2.5 George Fox grade point average and remain in good standing with the university.
Specifics of Each Subject's
Click on the category to learn more about the specifics of each subject's competition. Scholarship details are subject to change.
- Art - Graphic Design
- Art - Interior Design
- Art - Studio
- Athletic Training
- Biblical Studies
- Christian Ministries
- Cinema/Media Communication
- Cognitive Science
- Communication Arts*
- Computer Science
- Education - Music
- Elementary Education
- Engineering - Civil/Mechanical
- Engineering - Electrical/Computer
- Exercise Science
- Global Business
- Health/Human Performance
- Information Systems
- International Studies
- Music - Instrumental*
- Music - Vocal*
- Organizational Communication
- Pre-professional Programs
- Social Work
- Sociology - Global and Cultural Studies
- Sociology - Social Justice & Inequality
Scholarship details are subject to change.
* These departments also have participation scholarships available that do not have a major requirement. For details, please visit Additional Scholarships Website. The participation scholarships are not a part of Scholarship Competition.
William Penn Honors Program Scholarship
The William Penn Honors Program Scholarship is for students who intend to apply to the Honors Program by the November 15 priority application deadline. Students invited to this competition can compete in any of the leadership scholarships described below, but may only be awarded for either an honors scholarship or a leadership scholarship. WPHP scholarships vary and range from $1,000 to $2,500 per year.
Students invited to compete for WPHP scholarships should bring a photograph of themselves to the competition. There is no need to do anything special to prepare for the honors program scholarship, just come ready to observe, think and engage in some stimulating conversation.
Leadership scholarships are available to incoming first-year college students and college transfers.
The Leadership Awards are intended to recognize students who demonstrate outstanding leadership experience or involvement in co-curricular activities and who intend to contribute to the George Fox University community through participation, involvement and continued development of leadership skills.
These awards are available in the following areas:
Who is eligible?
The George Fox Leadership Award is for students who have demonstrated exceptional leadership characteristics through co-curricular activities, student government, local, church, or community activities. Significant emphasis is placed on the interview process during Scholarship Competition.
Students who are invited to compete for the George Fox Leadership Scholarship should bring the following items to campus with them for the interview process:
- A photo of yourself
- A resume listing extracurricular activities, leadership positions, and honors or awards received related to involvement in school, church and communities.
What are the requirements upon acceptance of this award?
Students who are awarded the George Fox Leadership Scholarship and declare acceptance are required to fulfill the following:
- Actively participate in all Welcome Weekend events (freshmen year only)
- Students must maintain at least a 2.5 GPA (yearly)
- Attend at least 2 activities per semester sponsored by ASC, Spiritual or Intercultural Life, or Residence Life (yearly)
- Participate in one service activity per semester (i.e., James Project, Little Bruin, Urban Outreach, Community Service Opportunities, etc.). Opportunities can be found here (yearly)
- Serve Day – participate in Serve Day (yearly)
- Attend Leadership Preview Night (freshmen year in January)
- Attend Club Fair after Serve Day (freshmen year only)
- Encouraged to take LEAD 110, Introduction to Leadership Course – can audit or take for 1 credit (optional – not required)
- Give strong consideration to participate in leadership involvement on campus during your time as a student (strongly encouraged – not required)
Multicultural: George Fox University is committed to living out the core value of "reflecting the diversity of God's kingdom" (George Fox values). In order to live out this value, we have created a program that is designed to recruit and retain students who are committed to diversity (ethnicity, socio-economic status, and physical disability) and have a passion for promoting intercultural awareness. While intercultural engagement and competence is a strong value of all of our leadership experiences on campus, recipients of the Multicultural Leadership Scholarship are committed to promoting diversity conversations and racial reconciliation on campus through their leadership.
Who is eligible?
Students of any ethnicity who are engaged in a diverse community (i.e. various ethnic communities, communities with diverse socio-economics, and/or physical disabilities), have been accepted to George Fox and have a 3.0 GPA or above are eligible. The Multicultural Leadership scholarship committee will select students who best meet the application requirement and who demonstrate academic strength and leadership qualities.
Students that are invited to compete for the Multicultural Leadership Scholarship should bring the following items to campus with them for the interview process:
- A photo of yourself
- A resume listing extracurricular activities, leadership positions, and honors or awards received related to involvement in school, church
What are the requirements upon acceptance of this scholarship?
Students who are awarded the Multicultural Leadership scholarship and declare acceptance are required to fulfill the following:
- Picnic with the President and participation in Mosaic Scholar Retreat (freshman year only)
- Welcome Weekend events (freshman year only)
- Regular meetings with a peer mentor (freshman year only)
- Students must maintain at least a 2.5 G.P.A.
- Monthly cohort meetings organized by class
- Two all-scholar meetings each semester
- Leadership involvement on campus
The Friends Leadership Program at George Fox University is designed to build upon your strengths as a leader, strengthen the Quaker Church, and provide opportunities to serve at George Fox, in the local church, and throughout the world.
The Friends Leadership scholarship will consist of two parts: a group interview and and a personal interview, both of them occurring on campus. Students that are interested in the Friends Leadership scholarship, and who have completed both their application for admission and their scholarship competition application by November 15, will be invited to campus to participate in the interviews.
What are the requirements upon acceptance of this scholarship?
Students who are awarded the Friends Church Leadership scholarship and declare acceptance are required to fulfill the following:
- Year One: Participation in a Quaker seminar class and regular meetings with an assigned mentor
- Years Two & Three: One internship each year alternating between George Fox University and the Northwest Yearly Meeting
- Year Four: Senior Project
Each student may only receive one Leadership Award but should express interest in any for which they may qualify. Amounts of the Leadership Awards vary and range from $1,000 to $2,500 per year. All of the awards will be added to the financial aid award and other scholarships the student may qualify for.
Leadership Award recipients are expected to participate in and contribute to campus activities and events, including leadership development programs/seminars. All award winners must maintain a 2.5 George Fox grade point average and remain in good standing with the university to continue receiving the scholarship beyond the sophomore year.
Schedule for Scholarship Competition 2016
|Friday - Leadership Scholarship Competition|
|9 a.m.||Check-in and Continental Breakfast|
|9:30 a.m.||Welcome to Scholarship Competition|
|11 a.m. - 12 p.m.||Friends Leadership Scholarship Individual Interviews|
|9 a.m. - 12 p.m.||William Penn Honors Program Scholarship Competition|
|10 a.m.||Attend a Class, Campus Tours, Friday Worship for Visitors|
|11 a.m.||Attend a class, Campus or Residence Hall Tours, Admissions Counselor Visits|
|11 a.m. – 2 p.m.||Lunch Open|
|Noon||Campus or Residence Hall Tours, Attend a Class|
|1 – 4 p.m.||Parent Activities - Financial Aid Session, Class Options, Admission Counselor Visits, Parent Presidential Reception|
|1:15 p.m.||George Fox Leadership and Multicultural Leadership Interview Kick Off (Parents welcome at this session)|
|1:30 – 4 p.m.||George Fox Leadership and Multicultural Leadership Interviews|
|4 p.m.||Activity & Club Fair|
|5 p.m.||Friday Closing Session, Meet Overnight Hosts|
|6 p.m.||Dinner with Hosts|
|7 p.m. – Bedtime||Evening Activities: ASC Event, Coffee Night|
|Saturday - Academic Scholarship Competition|
|9 a.m.||Check-in and Continental Breakfast (for people arriving on Saturday)|
|9:30 a.m.||Welcome to Scholarship Competition (all Saturday participants required to attend this session)|
10 a.m. – 12 p.m.
Departmental Exams, Interviews and Auditions (Some Art/Design interviews may take place outside of this time frame)
|10 a.m.||Student Outcomes Panel (George Fox Alumni will share how Fox helped them get to where they are)|
|11 a.m.||Lunch Opens (open until 2 pm), Financial Aid Presentation, Admissions Counslor Visits, Campus or Residence Hall Tours|
|1 p.m.||Academic Department Showcases and Open Houses|
|2 p.m.||Closing Session|
|2:30 p.m.||Campus or Residence Hall Tours, Admissions Counselor Visits|
Frequently Asked Questions
This is a highly competitive scholarship event.
Yes, until Nov. 15. Please contact our office at 503-554-2240.
Once awarded an academic scholarship, it is renewable for four years as long as you remain in good academic standing.
You must be present for your scheduled interview times. Leadership and Honors interviews take place on Friday. Academic interviews take place on Saturday.
You can see the online sample schedule to get an idea what the schedule will look like. You will receive your personal schedule with interview/exam times when you check in for Scholarship Competition.