Understand the Job Search and your Rights & Responsibilities - Playing Fair: Your Rights & Responsibilities as a Job Seeker (NACE)
Job Choices 2013 -General and Diversity Editions
- Know yourself - your skills, interests, values, and personality.
- Research industries and companies that align with your skills, interests, values, and personality.
- Create a targeted resume and cover letter that feature your skills as they relate to the job description.
- Develop a professional online presence.
- Practice your elevator pitch and interviewing skills.
- Optimal Resume
- Begin networking with professionals in the industry (Informational Interviewing, Professional Associations, LinkedIn, etc.)
- Initiate contact directly with target companies (website, career fairs, etc.)
- Identify appropriate search engines to access current openings online.
- Update materials for each job, and apply as quickly as possible.
- Top employers...collegegrad.com
- Articulate how your skills, interests, values, and personality align with the requirments of the position and culture of the company.
- Provide specific and concrete examples through storytelling to demonstrate your qualifications.
- Be clear, concise, and confident in your communications. Be specific and action-oriented in your requests.
- Monitor your nonverbal communication to convey interest and engagement. Smile and offer a firm, professional handshaking with direct eye contact.
- Send a Thank You note or email within 24 hours
- Maintain contact through positive interactions