George Fox University values the parents, siblings, grandparents and other supportive family members who have stood by our students. You have all played a role in helping our students move toward independence and prepare for this pivotal time in life — college.
In the next few years, the university will be partnering with you as your student takes significant steps toward learning, discovering vocational direction, growing spiritually, and developing life and decision-making skills.
How can you best support your student during these years?
Stay connected to the university
- Join the Parent Council to support George Fox students behind the scenes
- Attend university events designed especially for parents
- Read the monthly Parent Perspectives e-newsletter
Support your student’s steps toward responsibility
- Remind them about campus support resources
- Advise them toward good health habits like eating right and getting enough sleep
- Direct them to advocate for themselves on campus
Be a listening ear and offer positive encouragement
- Be a sounding board for your student and provide perspective
- Tell your student you believe in his or her decision-making skills and ability to find answers to their questions on campus
- As much as possible, avoid the practice of solving your student's problems on campus
During Welcome Weekend, a parent track has been scheduled. At Welcome Weekend, you will learn more about the college transition and how it impacts students and parents. You will find it to be a valuable investment of your time and a great beginning for your relationship with George Fox University.
As part of Welcome Weekend, there will be a breakfast reception with President Baker on Friday, Aug. 30. The reception is a complimentary event for the first 100 parents (this is not an event for students) who sign up. Please fill out the Registration Form for our Welcome Weekend events.
If you have any questions, please contact us at 503-554-2324