George Fox is a residential university and, as such, has a two-year residency requirement effective Fall of 2014 (please refer to The Benefit of Living On-Campus for more information about the advantages of campus housing). Students who meet one of the following eligibility criteria are able to live off campus:
- Students with junior status defined as 62 or more credit hours prior to the first day of fall semester
- Students who are 20 years old or older prior to the first day of fall semester
- Students in their third year out of high school
- Students who are married
- Local students commuting from their parent’s current place of residence and who have submitted an Application to Commute from Parent(s) Home
Every student must login and fill out the Housing and Meal Plan Intent form, even if they plan to live off-campus. If you are eligible to live off campus, you may select this option in the Housing and Meal Plan Intent Form.
Deadline for Off-Campus Application
The deadlines for requesting off-campus housing are as follows:
Fall Semester 2017
- Returning students who would like to be considered for off-campus approval prior to housing selection and do not qualify by the criteria listed above need to submit an Off Campus Housing and Meal Plan Petition before 5 p.m. on March 20, 2017.
- The last day for returning students to submit an Off Campus Housing and Meal Plan Petition is May 31, 2017.
- Students not eligible to live off-campus due to age or credits will not have an option to choose off-campus in the Housing and Meal Plan Intent Form. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or to submit a waiver. If a student changes to off-campus after confirming their housing placement, the student will be charged a $75 fine. After June 1, this fine goes up to $150.
It is expected that all students who live off campus abide by the university's lifestyle policies. Those students who live off campus and choose to violate the policies may have their approval to live off campus revoked and be required to return to university housing, or face other disciplinary action deemed appropriate by the student life office.
Transfer students are expected to abide by the university residency requirements. Even if the student has established a place of residence locally, transfers should plan on living on campus unless otherwise qualifying under the policy. Only those credits that have officially transferred will be considered in determining off-campus eligibility.
Appeals and Exceptions
Students who wish to seek an off-campus exception should do so by submitting an Off Campus Housing and Meal Plan Petition by March 20, 2017 to be considered prior to housing selection. To apply, students need to fill out the Off Campus Housing and Meal Plan Petition. Requests need to be submitted prior to May 31st, 2017 for Fall 2017 or December 8, 2017 for Spring 2018. Please note that most requests that fall outside of university policy are not approved. Requests presented after this time may not be considered.