Information about Off-Campus Living
George Fox is a residential university and as such has a three-year residency requirement (refer to The Benefit of Living On-Campus for more information about the advantages of campus housing). Students who meet one of the following eligibility criteria are able to live off-campus:
- Students with senior status defined as 93 or more credit hours.
- Students who are 21 years old or older prior to the first day of the semester.
- Students in their fourth year out of high school.
- Students who are married.
- Local students commuting from their parent’s current place of residence and who have submitted an Application to Commute from Parent(s) Home.
Eligible students should notify the University of their intent to live off-campus by emailing email@example.com prior to the deadlines listed below.
Deadline for Off-Campus Application
The deadlines for requesting off-campus housing are as follows:
- Fall Semester 2013
- Returning students who would like to be considered for off-campus approval prior to housing selection need to submit a Residency Exemption Request before 5:00 PM on March 1st, 2013.
- The last day for returning students to submit a Residency Exemption Request is May 31st, 2013.
- July 31st, 2013 is the last day eligbile students can opt to live off-campus.
- Spring Semester 2014
- December 13th, 2013 is the last day to make changes for spring semester or submit a Residency Exemption Request.
- Note: Students approved to move off-campus need to be checked-out of campus housing by noon on December 21st.
It is expected that all students who live off-campus abide by the university's lifestyle policies. Those students who live off-campus and choose to violate the policies may have their approval to live off-campus revoked and be required to return to university housing, or face other disciplinary action deemed appropriate by the Student Life office.Transfer Students
Transfer students are expected to abide by the University residence requirements. Even if the student has established a place of residence locally, transfers should plan on living on-campus unless otherwise qualifying under the policy. Only those credits that have officially transferred will be considered in determining off-campus eligibility.
Appeals and Exceptions
Students who wish to seek an off-campus exception should do so in writing by the first Friday of March to be considered prior to housing selection. To apply students need to pick up a Residency Exemption Request from the Student Life Office. Please note that most requests that fall outside of University policy are not considered. Exceptions for extreme financial hardship should be presented to Student Financial Services by May 31st for Fall 2013 or by December 13th for Spring 2014. Requests presented after this time will not be considered.
Finding Off-Campus Housing
Availability of off-campus housing varies from season to season and year to year. The following resources may be helpful in locating off-campus housing. Current students may check the Off-Campus Housing folder in BruinBoards. The Newberg Graphic and McMinnville News-Register have local housing listings in their classified sections.
Information for Community Members
The University does not actively advertise or coordinate local housing; students are responsible for arranging their own off-campus living housing. If you have housing available you may write a short description of what is available including your contact information. E-mail this description to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will post this to the "Off-Campus Housing" folder in BruinBoards. This will be available only to George Fox community members for 30 days. The university does not provide advice about the feasibility of purchasing local housing units for renting or leasing to George Fox students or employees, nor will the University provide information, specifically or in aggregate, about students living off-campus.