English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) Specialization
The English as a Second Language/Bilingual (ESOL) specialization program is for classroom teachers preparing to meet the needs of the increasing ELL population. Courses are designed to increase pedagogy, methodology, and cultural awareness related to instruction for ELL students in elementary or secondary school.
Students may declare ESOL/Bilingual as a specialization within their Master of Education program or complete the specialization courses as a license-only candidate to be recommended for an ESOL/Bilingual endorsement on their teaching license.
In addition to the course requirements, including a practicum, the candidate for the ESOL/Bilingual endorsement must also successfully complete the National Evaluation Test (NES) for ESOL/Bilingual Specialists in order to be recommended for licensure. The course work for this specialty has been designed to provide a broad base of understanding about successful ESOL/Bilingual methods, programs and assessments, as well as to prepare the individual to successfully complete the ESOL Specialist Exam.
Note: Students can add the bilingual category to the ESOL/Bilingual Endorsement by showing competency in a second language approved by TSPC. Successful completion of the NES test for the language chosen is required.
MEd with ESOL/Bilingual Specialization Requirements
Core Requirements – (15 hours; must be completed through George Fox)
- MEDU 543 Ethical Perspectives in Educational Leadership – 3 credit hours
- MEDU 510 Foundations of Educational Practice – 2 credit hours
- MEDU 530 Overview of Qualitative & Quantitative Research Methodology – 3 credit hours
- MEDU 520 Curriculum & Assessment – 3 credit hours
- MEDU 540 Action Research I – 2 credit hours
- MEDU 541 Action Research II – 2 credit hours
English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) Specialization (15 hours)
- ESOL 570 Applied English Linguistics: Oral & Literacy Focus – 3 credit hours
- ESOL 571 Second Language Acquisition & Development – 2 credit hours
- ESOL 572 Intercultural Communication in the ESOL/Bilingual Context – 2 credit hours
- ESOL 573 Planning & Managing ESOL/Bilingual Curriculum & Instruction – 3 credit hours
- ESOL 574 Assessing ESOL/Bilingual Student Learning & Language Proficiency – 3 credit hours
- ESOL 5XX Courses/practicum based on authorization
For complete course listings and information, please see the GFU Graduate Catalog.