Brief History

George Fox University was founded in 1891 as Pacific College by Quakers who had settled in Newberg in the 1870s. Prior to founding the College, they had established Friends Pacific Academy, a boarding school that counted Herbert Hoover among its students, in 1885. The establishment of the college six years later stemmed from the growth of the Academy and the recognition of the significance of higher education within the church community. In 1892, just a year after its founding, the college relocated to its current campus.

Noteworthy developments over the years include the phasing out of the Academy in 1934 and the change of the college's name in 1949 to George Fox College, in honor of the 17th-century founder of the Society of Friends. The institution also became a member of the Christian College Consortium in 1974. In 1990, George Fox University introduced its first graduate program with the Doctor of Psychology program. In 1996, George Fox College merged with Western Evangelical Seminary, prompting the name change to George Fox University.

Throughout its history, George Fox University has maintained a close relationship with the Northwest Yearly Meeting of Friends. The university is governed by a board of trustees appointed by the Yearly Meeting. This affiliation with the church and the Friends (Quaker) heritage remains a fundamental aspect of George Fox's operation and ethos. The university demonstrates its commitment to Christ-centered education both in its mission and in the everyday life of its faith-based learning community.