Enrollment: 3,491 (2012-13)
Traditional Undergraduate: 1,902
Adult Degree Completion: 285
Total faculty: 377
Student-Faculty Ratio: 13:1
Traditional Undergraduate Students
Average Class Size: 20 (includes labs)
Average High School GPA: 3.62 on a 4.0 scale
Average Combined SAT Score: 1,112 (national average: 1,011)
Students Living on Campus: 1,126
States Represented: 35
Ethnic Minorities: 18.5 percent
International: 7.0 percent
Residential Campus: Newberg, Ore.
President: Robin Baker, PhD (2007 – present)
- George Fox consistently earns third-party recognition from publications such as Forbes and U.S. News & World Report, which annually rank it among the nation's top Christian colleges.
- In 2011-12, Kiplinger's Personal Finance magazine ranked George Fox among the top 80 "best value" private universities in the nation.
- Forbes ranks George Fox among the top 10 "Best Religiously Affiliated Colleges" in the United States.
- George Fox is classified by U.S. News & World Report as a best regional university. In 2011 and 2012, U.S. News ranked George Fox in the first tier of its "Best Regional Universities (West)" category.
- George Fox is ranked among the nation's leaders in percentage of students studying abroad.
- The university is one of 100 institutions selected for the John Templeton Foundation “Honor Roll for Character-Building Colleges.”
- The Princeton Review lists George Fox as a “Best in the West” selection.
- George Fox University is one of 50 listed in the Intercollegiate Studies Institute’s “Guide to All-American Colleges,” along with University of Chicago, Princeton University and Whitman College.
Total number of living alumni: 23,194 residing in 45 countries and all 50 states
Undergraduate Tuition and Financial Aid
Undergraduate Tuition and Fees (2012-13): $29,900
Room and Board (2012-13): $9,360
Financial Aid Awarded (2011-12): $43.5 million
Students Receiving Financial Aid: 98%
Average Financial Aid Package: $24,701 annually
Traditional undergraduate programs
More than 40 majors, 45 minors, and six pre-professional programs offered in Newberg
Undergraduate adult degree-completion
- Doctor of Business Administration
- Master of Business Administration - Part-Time
- Master of Business Administration - Full-Time
- Doctor of Education
- Master of Arts in Teaching
- Master of Education
- Administrative License programs
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Master of Arts in Marriage, Couple and Family Counseling
- Master of Arts in School Counseling
- Master of Science in School Psychology
- Doctor of Physical Therapy
- Doctor of Psychology
George Fox Evangelical Seminary
- Doctor of Ministry
- Master of Divinity - Portland
- Master of Divinity - Online
- Master of Arts in Theological Studies
- Master of Arts in Spiritual Formation - Portland
- Master of Arts in Spiritual Formation - Online
- Master of Arts in Ministry Leadership - Portland
- Master of Arts in Ministry Leadership - Online
At George Fox, you are not just a number. You are known by name. Our professors and staff connect with students in authentic ways – personally, academically and spiritually – and opportunities abound for students to thrive in a supportive community that encourages academic rigor and spiritual growth. Our 13-to-1 student-to-faculty ratio allows for plenty of personal attention in the classroom.
As a Christian college rooted in the Friends tradition, we believe George Fox is uniquely designed to foster authentic and meaningful relationships that lead to personal transformation. In keeping with our mission of Christian higher education, all of our employees – faculty, staff and administrators – are committed Christians.
George Fox ranks among the nation's leaders in study-abroad participation. More than half of our undergraduates participate in an international experience.
Richter Scholars Program
George Fox undergraduate and graduate students receive funding for independent research projects conducted with a faculty mentor. We are one of 11 universities in the Richter Scholars Program, including Yale, Dartmouth, Cal Tech, and University of Chicago.
NCAA Div. III Athletics
- Men's Soccer
- Women's Soccer
- Men's Cross Country
- Women's Cross Country
- Women's Volleyball
- Men's Basketball
- Women's Basketball
- Men's Track & Field
- Women's Track & Field
- Men's Golf
- Women's Golf
- Men's Tennis
- Women's Tennis
Serve Day: Every fall, the university closes campus for its annual Serve Day and sends more than 1,700 students, professors and staff members into the local community to do volunteer service at parks, senior citizen homes, churches, government agencies and nonprofit organizations. George Fox students annually volunteer thousands of hours in service in Yamhill County, Portland and throughout Oregon.
Serve Trips: Students use their winter, spring and summer breaks to volunteer locally and internationally on school-sponsored service trips.
For a comprehensive listing of community contributions, visit the Community Contributions page.
- Herbert Hoover, 31st President of the United States, attended Friends Pacific Academy (precursor to George Fox)
- Richard Foster, author of Celebration of Discipline, named by Christianity Today as one of the top 10 religious books of the 20th century
- Peggy Fowler, former CEO of Portland General Electric
- Gina Ochsner, award-winning American writer (two Oregon Book Awards and Flannery O'Connor Award for Short Fiction)
- Darleen Ortega, judge, Oregon Court of Appeals
- Pat Casey, head baseball coach who led Oregon State University to two national titles
- "Coach" Ken Carter, high school basketball coach who inspired 2005 Coach Carter movie starring Samuel L. Jackson
- Richard Zeller, internationally acclaimed opera singer
- Scott Jensen, Emmy-award winning photojournalist
- Rolf Potts, author and travel writer whose work has appeared in National Geographic Traveler and New York Times Magazine