MAT Admission Requirements
We are seeking teacher candidates who are dedicated and focused, open to multiple viewpoints, enthusiastic about learning, able to negotiate systems, and excellent at communicating.
For students seeking admission to the MAT program, requirements are as follows:
- A bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university with a GPA of at least 3.0 in the last two years of course work
- Passing scores on the CBEST or Praxis PPST or the new EAS (additional test scores required in some cases). Students with a regionally accredited Masters or Doctoral degree are exempt. Please contact your admissions counselor for more information.
- Interview by the admission committee
- Previous experience working with children or adolescents
- Strong recommendation from three individuals
How to Apply1. Basic Skills Exams: Register for, take, and submit passing scores for one of the basic skills exams for teachers:
- Essential Academic Skills test: www.orela.nesinc.com
- CBEST: www.cbest.nesinc.com
- Praxis I PPST: www.ets.org/praxis
Note: Additional subject area testing is required for State Licensure, but is not required for admission. Subject area tests must be completed before student teaching. Candidates who currently hold a master’s degree or higher at the time of application are not required to submit official scores from one of the basic skills tests. Recommended reading: Testing: The Big Picture
2. Apply Online: Create an account with a username and password and complete the MAT application online here. Submitting the online application will require a $40 non-refundable application fee. Online submission is recommended to expedite processing, but you may also download paper application online here.
4. Official (Unopened) Transcripts: Order official transcripts from every regionally accredited college or university where you completed even a single course. Transcripts should be sent to the address below:Office of Admissions
George Fox University
12753 S.W. 68th Ave.
Portland, Oregon 97223
5. Teacher Focused Resume: Group your work history into two sections: "Applicable Work and Volunteer Experience" and "Other Work Experience." Submit to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 503.554.3110.
6. Professional Reference Form: Download and email the fillable Professional Reference form to three references. Please carefully follow directions included on the fillable form.
7. Application Admission Statement (Essay): Complete the essay according to instructions included on the Supplemental Form.
10. International Students: Additional requirements for international students are online here.
Once Your Application is Complete
1. Group Interview/Assessment - The MAT admissions committee will review your application file. Applicants meeting initial program criteria will be invited to a group assessment/interview.
2. Enrollment Deposit - Upon admission you are required to submit a $200 Enrollment Deposit by the date provided to you in your admit letter. Please review the Student Financial Services website for more information.
- Now accepting applications for the Full-Time Cohort starting in June
- June 1 for the MAT at Night format
- Oct. 1 for the MAT in Your Community format
*We will continue to accept applications after the deadline when cohorts are not filled. Contact admissions for assistance.
Questions? Contact Kipp Wilfong for more information:
Graduate Admissions Counselor