Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) Admissions
We are seeking teacher candidates who are dedicated and focused, open to multiple viewpoints, enthusiastic about learning, able to negotiate systems, and excellent at communicating.
For students seeking admission to the MAT program, requirements are as follows:
- A bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university with a GPA of at least 3.0 in the last two years of course work
- Interview by the admission committee
- Previous experience working with children or adolescents
- Completed application requirements listed below
How to Apply
- Apply Online
- Create an account with a username and password, and complete the MAT application online. Submitting the online application will require a $40 nonrefundable application fee.
Applications can be saved to be completed at a later date. Log in early to send reference forms and view the essay prompts.
Note: Additional subject area testing is required for state licensure, but is not required for admission. Subject area tests must be completed before student teaching. Recommended reading: Testing: The Big Picture
Start Your Application
- Official (Unopened) Transcripts
Order official transcripts from every regionally accredited college or university where you completed even a single course. Transcripts should be sent to:
Office of Admissions
George Fox University
12753 S.W. 68th Ave.
Portland, Oregon 97223
- Submit Character Questionnaire
- Complete the Character Questionnaire and email to email@example.com or fax to 503-554-6111.
- Complete FAFSA (if applicable)
- Apply for federal financial aid through the FAFSA (GFU FAFSA code is: 003194). Contact your financial aid counselor for financial aid award questions.
- International Students
- Additional requirements for international students are online here.
Once Your Application is Complete
- Group Interview/Assessment
- The MAT admissions committee will review your application file. Applicants meeting initial program criteria will be invited to a group assessment/interview.
- Enrollment Deposit
- Upon admission you are required to submit a $200 Enrollment Deposit by the date provided to you in your admit letter. Please review the Student Accounts website for more information.
- Now accepting applications for the Full-time MAT program. Program begins in June at our Newberg location only.
- June 1st for the Part-time* MAT at Night program. Program begins in August at our Portland location only. Apply Now!
- October 1st for the Part-time* MAT In Your Community program. (Program begins in January at our Portland, Salem, and Redmond** locations.)
**Redmond program applications will be accepted through November.
*The final two semesters in both the 16-month and 20-month programs will be full-time in order to complete student-teaching requirements.
Questions? Contact Kipp Wilfong for more information: