Student Support Network
Click on link above!
Use this form to alert the Student Support Network (SSN) of any student who is struggling academically, socially, or personally, or who may be considering withdrawing from George Fox.
The Student Support Network (SSN) is a program designed to identify and support students who are struggling academically, socially, or personally. The SSN consists of a small team of faculty, staff, and administrators representing a variety of departments who are invested in the academic and personal success of George Fox University undergraduate students. This group meets regularly during the academic year to confidentially discuss appropriate and timely interventions for students in need of assistance or support.
In providing this support, struggling students will be encouraged to develop both their independence and their interdependence within the context of the campus community. The goal of the SSN is to encourage students' persistence to graduation and their active pursuit of God's call on their lives. To accomplish this important objective, the SSN assigns an appropriate person to follow up with the student and point him or her to the many resources that are available. Our hope is that some of the identified resources will help the student in resolving specific issues or concerns.
Students are referred to the SSN by concerned members of the George Fox community who submit an Intervention Alert Form online.
(Please note: referral to the SSN or use of the intervention alert form is not intended to replace direct referral to a university service or office. It is also not intended to be used when a student misses one or two classes or fails to turn in an assignment.
The SSN program is intended for referral when there are several issues of concern that may involve different offices or when extra support and attention would be helpful to encourage student success.
Procedures for Referral:
- Whenever possible, the reporting community member is encouraged to discuss the concern with the student and/or inform the student that he/she is contacting the SSN on their behalf.
- Once the form is received by the SSN, the committee will determine the appropriate action for each individual and will identify the faculty or staff person who will be responsible for follow-up. The assigned point person will perform one or more of the following tasks within five working days (depending on the seriousness of the concern):
- Contact the faculty or staff member to discuss the referral before making contact with the student
- Contact the student by phone and attempt to identify a solution
- Contact other appropriate university personnel to check on the status of the student
- Contact the student by letter or e-mail and request a follow-up with the designated point person.
NOTE: If a faculty or staff member has a concern about a student and is unsure of how to intervene or is reluctant to get involved, they can contact the SSN and discuss intervention options before taking action.
Student Emergency Fund
The purpose of the Student Emergency Fund is to provide compassionate assistance to students in emergency situations. It is intended to assist students during times of crisis by providing financial support where a clear need exists.
Because these funds are made available through the generosity of the family and friends of undergraduate students, they are intended to provide financial assistance for current George Fox University students only.
If you are planning to make a request for a student please read the Student Emergency Fund Guidelines.
To submit a request please use the Student Emergency Fund Request Form.
If you have any questions about assisting students, please contact one of the people listed below: