Leadership & Spiritual Formation
At a Glance:
Doctor of Ministry - Leadership & Spiritual Formation Track
|Average Completion Time||3 years|
|Cost per credit||$498 per hour; $1,600 (for each face-to-face retreat)* (financial aid available)|
|Accreditation||Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities;
Association of Theological Schools (ATS)
|Location||Online, with face-to-face retreats in Cannon Beach, OR|
|Application Deadline||Rolling application deadline; apply now for next start date|
*All stated financial information is subject to change.
Nourish the soul for sustainable ministry.
The Leadership and Spiritual Formation Doctor of Ministry (DMin) program operates out of the conviction that leadership in the kingdom of God only occurs through lives that are rightly related to Jesus Christ.
The program features an approach to academics that focuses on enriching both your leadership skills and spiritual life. As such, it fosters a learning atmosphere that encourages personal transformation in order to become an effective spiritual leader.
Learning OutcomesGraduates of the Leadership and Spiritual Formation Doctor of Ministry track will:
- gain an advanced understanding and integration of ministry leadership in relation to individual and community spiritual formation.
- formulate a comprehensive and critical understanding of ministry informed by the disciplines of biblical studies, theology, psychology, sociology, critical theory, leadership, organizational theory, and the history of Christian spirituality
- develop and acquire skills and competencies in research methods, critical thinking, academic voice, and ministry application
- contribute to the understanding and practice of ministry through the completion of a doctoral-level project
- foster competencies in self-care, discernment, contextualized Christian spiritual formation practices, and the ability to lead others in these areas
- engage with diverse cultural, religious, and linguistic contexts of ministry
Participation in the Leadership and Spiritual Formation DMin program can be broken into three phases:
- Application and enrollment
- Completion of the coursework
- Production of the dissertation
- Rolling application deadline - apply now for the next start date
The Leadership and Spiritual Formation DMin track organizes students into groups of 8-12 that journey together through the entire program. A new cohort launches each academic year. Two cohorts meet each semester at the same time at the face-to-face (F2F) Retreats. As a consequence, each cohort will get to know the cohorts ahead and behind them.
The online component is central to the curricular structure of the program. Community is established during the face-to-face experiences and enhanced through synchronous and asynchronous online interaction. Learning takes place in the context of student-to-student exchange.
Students meet face to face for a retreat of 10 days in each module. This contact time is intended to allow sufficient space for spiritually formative experiences, not just academics. While students meet for class with each of their instructors, they also follow a daily rhythm of prayer with their cohorts under the direction of the Spiritual Director, fellowship around meals, and time away for reflection. Learn more...
- George Fox Evangelical Seminary
- About the Seminary
- Master of Divinity (MDiv)
- MA, Intercultural Studies
- MA, Ministry Leadership
- MA, Spiritual Formation
- MA, Theological Studies
- Doctor of Ministry (DMin)
- Partners in Ministry Certificate
- Spiritual Formation Certificate, Portland
- Christian Earthkeeping Concentration
- Chaplaincy Concentration
- Other Concentrations
- Faculty & Staff
- Contact Us