Leadership & Spiritual Formation
At a Glance:
Doctor of Ministry - Leadership & Spiritual Formation Track
|Average Completion Time||3 years|
|Cost per credit||$498 per hour; $1,600 (for each face-to-face retreat)* (financial aid available)|
|Accreditation||Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities;
Association of Theological Schools (ATS)
|Location||Online, with face-to-face retreats in Cannon Beach, OR|
|Application Deadline||Rolling application deadline; apply now for next start date|
*All stated financial information is subject to change.
Influencing for Christ from the inside out.
The Leadership and Spiritual Formation Doctor of Ministry (DMin) program operates out of the conviction that leadership in the kingdom of God only occurs through lives that are rightly related to Jesus Christ.
The program features an approach to academics that focuses on enriching both your leadership skills and spiritual life. As such, it fosters a learning atmosphere that encourages personal transformation in order to become an effective spiritual leader.
Learning OutcomesGraduates of the Leadership and Spiritual Formation Doctor of Ministry track will:
- Demonstrate an advanced understanding of key historical spiritual formation texts, practices, people, and events.
- Formulate a critical understanding of cultural and transformational servant leadership characteristics and practices as evidenced in oneself and one's leadership environment
- Develop and acquire skills and competencies in research methods, critical thinking, academic voice, and ministry application.
- Contribute to the understanding and practice of ministry through the completion of a doctoral-level project in the field of formation and leadership.
- Demonstrate competency in Christian formation practices, individual and organizational change processes, and designing contextualized formational communities.
- Engage with diverse cultural, religious, and linguistic contexts of ministry
Participation in the Leadership and Spiritual Formation DMin program can be broken into three phases:
- Application and enrollment
- Completion of the coursework
- Production of the dissertation
- Rolling application deadline; Apply now for the next start date.
The Leadership and Spiritual Formation DMin track organizes students into groups of 12-15 that journey together through the entire program. A new cohort launches each academic year. Two cohorts meet each semester at the same time at the face-to-face (F2F) Retreats. The overlap allows each cohort will get to know the cohorts ahead and behind them.
The online component is foundational to the curricular structure of the program. Community is established during the face-to-face experiences and enhanced through weekly synchronous and asynchronous online interaction. Learning takes place in the context of student-to-student exchange.
From the outset of the program, students are paired with an individual faculty advisor who helps them develop and focus their areas of specialization in a series of 'customized courses'. Faculty advisors ensure the academic integrity of their students’ work and sharpen their critical thinking, writing and source-documentation skills. Faculty advisors go on to serve as their students’ dissertation advisors.
Students meet face to face for a retreat of 7 days/6 nights in each module. This contact time is intended to allow sufficient space for spiritually formative experiences, not just academics. While students meet for class with each of their instructors, they also follow a daily rhythm of prayer with their cohorts under the guidance of the Lead Mentor, fellowship around meals, and time away for reflection. Learn more...
- George Fox Evangelical Seminary
- About the Seminary
- Master of Divinity (MDiv)
- MA, Intercultural Studies
- MA, Ministry Leadership
- MA, Spiritual Formation
- MA, Theological Studies
- Doctor of Ministry (DMin)
- Partners in Ministry Certificate
- Spiritual Formation Certificate, Portland
- Christian Earthkeeping Concentration
- Chaplaincy Concentration
- Other Concentrations
- Faculty & Staff
- Contact Us