Change the world, one student at a time
Study teaching at a top-ranked Christian university
Earn your Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) degree at a university with a solid reputation for preparing teachers for a career in education. We offer initial licensure at all four levels of authorization — early childhood, elementary, middle school, and secondary.
George Fox University is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) - one of only seven institutions in Oregon with national accreditation of its teaching programs - and its teaching programs are approved by the Oregon Teacher Standards and Practices Commission (TSPC). George Fox is also consistently ranked among the top Christian colleges in the U.S. by Forbes.
What you get at George Fox
- Faculty expertise - Learn from those who live the teaching life
- Extensive field experience - Teach in real classrooms
- Cohort model - Receive support through close community and teamwork
- Action research - Improve your ability to solve problems in the classroom
- Endorsements - Add one of three special endorsements (ESOL, Reading or Special Education)
- Emphasis on technology - Keep pace with technological advances and receive an iPad mini as part of tuition
- Integrity and values - Think critically, tranform practice and promote justice
Three program formats to fit your schedule
- MAT full-time format (full-time, 10.5 months/3 semesters), starting in June of each year, located on the university's Newberg, Oregon campus.
- MAT in Your Community format (part-time, 16 months/4 semesters), starting in January (Portland and Redmond) or June (Salem) each year, located in Portland, Salem and Redmond, Oregon.
- MAT@Night format (part-time, 20 months/5 semesters), starting in late August each year, located in Portland.
Already a licensed teacher?
George Fox offers online and summer courses for PreK-12 teachers:
- Master of education (MEd)
- Administrator license
- Continuing administrator license
- Doctor of education (EdD)
Don't have a bachelor's degree yet?
George Fox offers an evening degree-completion program for adults who want to earn a bachelor’s degree in elementary education.