A bear born before George Fox University existed lives today in the university’s Bruins sports nickname and in its oldest student tradition. In 1887, a student at Friends Pacific Academy brought to campus a black bear cub found in the coast range. The cub lived in a pit in Hess Creek canyon. After the bear died in 1892, the bearskin became an unofficial mascot, traveling with the senior class on outings. Senior classes traditionally passed “Bruin” down to the juniors, but in 1898, the junior class swiped the skin early. Students have wrestled for possession of the bearskin and numerous canvas replicas called “Bruin Jr.” ever since.
The first graduating class
For decades, George Fox students celebrated the coming of spring with May Day festivals. Dressed in old English and modern costumes, students crowned a May Day court, wound the Maypole, and performed folk dances and drills.
Wood-Mar Hall Evangeline Martin and Amanda Woodward with “Faithful Old Kit” celebrate the $30,000 raised for a new college building. Wood-Mar Hall was completed in 1911.
The Bruins won the Willamette Valley League basketball championship in a season that included a 34-25 win against Oregon State Agricultural College (Oregon State University).
Name changed to George Fox College
Northwest Association of Secondary and Higher Schools grants accreditation
The Raft Race down the Willamette River has been an on-and-off George Fox tradition for students and staff since 1969. Using oars and “anything that floats,” students race down the three-mile course from Roger’s Landing in Newberg to Champoeg Park. The 1981 race drew 22 entries and more than 100 student sailors. The fastest recorded time is 65 minutes, set in 1971. The most unique craft might have been the air-filled waterbed that captured the 1976 race.
George Fox first in the Northwest to offer degree-completion program for working adults
Degree-completion classes offered in Portland
Juniors Abroad overseas study program starts. Excursions have reached every continent except Antarctica.
U.S. News & World Report ranks George Fox as one of “America’s Best Colleges” for the first time.
Templeton Foundation includes George Fox on its nationwide Honor Roll of Character Building Colleges
George Fox begins offering graduate programs, acquiring the doctor of psychology program from Western Seminary
George Fox celebrated its 100th birthday in a year-long celebration ending Sept. 9. Centennial Tower donor Esther Klages was part of the ceremonies.
Computers Across the Curriculum program starts, providing a Macintosh Classic to each student. The program, which later provided laptops to incoming undergraduate students, remained in place through the 2010-11 academic year.
George Fox College merges with Western Evangelical Seminary; name change to George Fox University.
Former U.S. senator Mark Hatfield joins faculty to teach history and political science.
The campus closes for a day as all staff and students head into the community for volunteer service projects on the university’s first annual Serve Day.
Carnegie Foundation’s Oregon Professor of the Year award given to Dwight Kimberly, biology.
Salem Center opens.
Newberg business owners Ken and Joan Austin announce plans to donate 24 acres of undeveloped land for future outdoor athletics fields.
Bruins win NCAA Division III national baseball championship.
George Fox purchases the Newberg Providence Hospital and its eight acres of property for academic use.
U.S. News & World Report ranks George Fox in its "Best National Universities" category for the first time.
Bruins win NCAA Division III national women's basketball championship.
Record undergraduate applications causes university to create wait list and raise admission requirements.
Austin Athletic Complex opens with synthetic turf soccer/lacrosse field.
Forbes ranks George Fox among its top-100 "America's Best Colleges,"
highest among Christian colleges in the nation.
The first cadre of Act Six students graduate. The leadership and scholarship program provides full scholarships to selected urban leaders in the Portland area.
Marilyn and John Duke donate $2.5 million to the university - one of the largest gifts in school history - to fund the Duke Athletic Center, part of the new Stoffer Family Stadium complex being constructed on campus.
The university receives a first-tier regional ranking and "Best Value" listing from U.S. News & World Report, while also receiving recognition from Kiplinger's, Forbes and Princeton Review.
George Fox begins offering a three-year doctor of physical therapy degree, becoming only the second school in the state to do so.
George Fox breaks ground on Stoffer Family Stadium. The facility will accommodate track and field and will be home to the revived football program, making a return to the school in 2014 after a 45-year hiatus.