At a Glance:
Doctor of Education
|Average Completion Time||4 years|
|Cost per credit||$716* (financial aid available)|
|Accreditation||Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities;
Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP)
|Location||Newberg campus and online|
|Application Deadlines||Oct. 1 (spring EdD); March 15 (summer EdD)|
*All stated financial information is subject to change.
Doctor of Education
The EdD prepares scholar-practitioners in P-12 and higher education settings to be leaders who think with clarity, act with integrity and serve with passion. Our faculty lead students as they gain critical and research-based skills for excellent and effective teaching. Students will become critical consumers of research so they can practice inquiry and engage in scholarly pursuits, enabling them to become leaders who effectively communicate with key constituencies. We promote the scholarship of teaching by helping students bring scholarly habits of mind to their work.
This program is designed for students in the following settings:
- P-12 teachers and school leaders
- Higher education faculty and leaders
The hybrid (online with residency component) format of our program is designed for students to continue full-time employment while pursuing their doctorate.
Upon program completion, George Fox doctoral graduates will:
- Develop the moral courage to work for the common good by recognizing and addressing ethical issues in education (Ethical Perspectives)
- Participate in a diverse community of educational practice through understanding, leadership and advocacy across a variety of educational perspectives (Foundational Perspectives)
- Defend and apply research-based teaching and learning practice (Teaching and Learning Perspectives)
- Engage in educational leadership through self-reflection, discourse, innovation and organizational change (Leading & Managing Perspectives)
- Evaluate, interpret and conduct educational research (Research Perspectives)
- Demonstrate development of expertise in a specified educational field (Dissertation Perspectives)
George Fox Reputation
Forbes ranks George Fox among the top Christian colleges in the country. George Fox is also ranked as a top-tier regional university by U.S. News & World Report.
Alumni of the EdD Program are currently employed in 8 different countries around the world and more than 14 states throughout the US. They are working in a variety of roles including Elementary School Principal, Elementary School Teacher, District Superintendent, Provost, Executive Director of Special Programs, Faculty Member, High School Teacher, Diversity Coordinator, Middle School Teacher, Associate Professor, High School Assistant Principal, Head of Teacher Education (University Level), Elementary School Counselor, Assistant Professor, District Curriculum Coordinator and more.
Be Known by our Exceptional Faculty
Get to know your faculty before you begin your doctorate degree.
We understand the importance of learning from expert educators. As a doctor of education student you will learn under the guidance and support from PhD-level educators who are committed to your success.
Your faculty are known for developing and training award-winning, nationally recognized, educational leaders. Their academic credentials, decades of collective teaching and administrative experience, and commitment to students have earned George Fox University a national reputation for teaching excellence.