Get to know freshman electrical engineering major Zack Lyda – our Be Known student profile of the week!

– Hometown: Newberg, Oregon
– Dream job: Developing biological 3D printing technology.
– Fun fact: I love Rubik’s cubes! I’m was actually printing one at the time the pic was taken

Q: Why did you choose to major in electrical engineering?

A: I chose electrical engineering because I have had a deep-seated love for electronics basically my entire life. One of the earliest memories I have of my childhood was finding a long strand of wire in a box in the garage and appropriating it as my own. I buried the ends of it in gravel, intending to make it do fantastic things (this seemed quite logical in my 6-year-old mind). This was over a decade ago, yet I still have that childlike curiosity, and still want to make wires do things. That’s why I chose double E.

Q: How have you felt known at George Fox?

A: Both students and faculty here care to get to know you. Honestly, before I experienced it, the whole Be Known thing seemed kinda cliché, but that opinion quickly changed once I got here. Everyone here is friendly and caring, and I really do feel known. 

Q: How have you grown in your faith while at George Fox?

A: The engineering department has a program they call Engineering Your Soul, or EYS as its generally referred to. Each semester we read a Christian book, and meet throughout the semester to discuss it. These meetings are mainly voluntary, but we have a packed room every time. While this sounds like a cliché formulaic thing, I have left almost every single meeting with a new insight on either God, myself, or my faith. I definitely am growing in my faith here at Fox.

Photo of Jeremy Lloyd

Jeremy Lloyd

Author

Jeremy Lloyd serves as the University Community Manager and University Magazine Editor.

Share this post: