MAT Admission Requirements
We are seeking teacher candidates who are dedicated and focused, open to multiple viewpoints, enthusiastic about learning, able to negotiate systems, and excellent at communicating.
For students seeking admission to the MAT program, requirements are as follows:
- A bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university with a GPA of at least 3.0 in the last two years of course work
- Interview by the admission committee
- Previous experience working with children or adolescents
- Completed application requirements listed below
How to Apply
- Apply Online:
- Create an account with a username and password and complete the MAT application online. Submitting the online application will require a $40 non-refundable application fee. Online submission is recommended to expedite processing, but you may download and submit a printable PDF application instead.
- Note: Additional subject area testing is required for State Licensure, but is not required for admission. Subject area tests must be completed before student teaching. Recommended reading: Testing: The Big Picture
- Form: Download and complete the MAT program Supplemental Application Form and submit to email@example.com.
The Supplemental Form requires an essay in response to the prompt provided.
- Official (Unopened) Transcripts:
Order official transcripts from every regionally accredited college or university where you completed even a single course. Transcripts should be sent to the address below:Office of Admissions
George Fox University
12753 S.W. 68th Ave.
Portland, Oregon 97223
- Teacher Focused Resume:
- Group your work history into two sections: "Applicable Work and Volunteer Experience" and "Other Work Experience." Submit to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 503.554.6111.
- Professional Reference Form:
- Download and email the fillable Professional Reference form to three references. Please carefully follow directions included on the fillable form.
- Application Admission Statement (Essay):
- Complete the essay according to instructions included on the Supplemental Form.
- Character Questionnaire:
- Complete the Character Questionnaire and email to email@example.com or fax to 503-554-6111.
- Complete FAFSA (if applicable):
- Apply for federal financial aid through the FAFSA (GFU FAFSA code is: 003194). Contact your financial aid counselor for financial aid award questions.
- International Students:
- Additional requirements for international students are online here.
Once Your Application is Complete
- Group Interview/Assessment
- The MAT admissions committee will review your application file. Applicants meeting initial program criteria will be invited to a group assessment/interview.
- Enrollment Deposit
- Upon admission you are required to submit a $200 Enrollment Deposit by the date provided to you in your admit letter. Please review the Student Accounts website for more information.
- Now accepting applications for the Part-time MAT In Your Community program. (Program begins in January at our Portland, Salem, and Redmond** locations.) Apply now!
- February 1st for the MAT Full-time program. (Program begins in June at our main campus in Newberg.) Apply at any time.
- June 1st for the Part-time MAT at Night program. (Program begins in August at our Portland location.) Apply at any time.
*We will continue to accept applications after the deadline when cohorts are not filled. Contact admissions for assistance.
**Redmond program applications will be accepted through the end of December.
Questions? Contact Kipp Wilfong for more information: