We can’t promise every student will be featured on a billboard, but we can promise every George Fox student will Be Known – personally, academically and spiritually. 

Recently we caught up with one of the stars of our latest billboard campaign – senior psychology major Justine Reid – to find out how she has experienced the Be Known promise. See her answers below!

Can you tell us about a time a professor made you feel known on a personal level?

“This past year I had a pretty rough year. I had gone to (psychology professor) Kris Kays because I needed help finding an internship for my major in order to graduate, and I was just feeling overwhelmed by life. I was like, ‘I don’t even know where to start, and this is scary,’ and I was just so overwhelmed with emotion. So, I was sitting in her office talking to her, and she has a way about her that just makes you open up. She has tissue boxes all around her office because people cry in there all the time. And I was like, ‘No, that won’t happen to me.’ But she started talking to me about my goals, and what I’ve been through, and what that will mean for me later, and I don’t know what happened but the flood gates opened and I started bawling my eyes out. She handed me a tissue and said, ‘Just let it go.’ I was able to release a lot of the stuff I had been holding onto, and she helped me do that. And she reassured me that she was going to be there to help. That really made me feel better. I was like, ‘OK, I am good enough to do this, and I can do this.’ She helped me see that.” 

justine reid

What was your experience like when you first got to campus? 

“I was super nervous. I didn’t really know what to expect. So, I get to campus and I’m sweating because I’m nervous – oh my gosh, so much. But I made a decision to really take advantage of the fact that most of the people here don’t know me. I’d been super shy my whole life, but when I came to Fox I was like, ‘OK, I’m going to try to open up more.’ That was something I had to push myself to do because that was not in my comfort zone at all. And little by little it became my comfort zone. Most of the people I met freshmen year I’m still friends with, which is so cool.”

What do you think makes the community here at George Fox different? 

“The faith aspect, I think. More people here are focused on their faith and being intentional about that. Fox seems to attract people who are seeking relationships or seeking community. I mean, at a state school or something, it’s such a big school that would be hard to do. At Fox, having a common faith in God brings people together in a way that other places don’t. There’s a deeper relationship, a deeper meaning to everything.”

Content goes here.

Share this post: