Adventure - Art - Culture - Juniors Abroad at George Fox


Who can go on Juniors Abroad trips?
Juniors Abroad is a transportation-subsidized cross-cultural course, offered to any junior student who has fulfilled the requirements. Seniors who have not been on a trip can also go but may be put at the bottom of the wait list. Transfers will pay a "buy-in-fee." All requirements must be agreed to, including at least a 2.0 GPA the semester before the trip, good standing with the university student life office, obtaining immunizations, etc.

Can a transfer go on Juniors Abroad?
Yes, transfer students can go on Juniors Abroad. However, they will be charged an extra fee based on the number of semesters that they attend George Fox.

What if I am not a transfer student and graduating after only two or three years?

Those who expect to graduate after three years: If you are going to graduate in three years after you enter George Fox you must wait until your third year. You will sign up in the spring of your second year. This will mean you go after you graduate. There will be a “buy-in” fee. You will have the same priority as a junior.

Running Start Student: If you are going to graduate after two years you can obtain special permission to go on Juniors Abroad after your second year. There will be a “buy-in” fee. You will have the same priority as a junior.

Can an international student go on Juniors Abroad?
Yes. International students may need visas that U.S. students do not need. If you are a non-U.S. citizen you may need a Schengen Visa to enter Europe. You will need to  travel to the consulate of the FIRST country where you enter Europe. Please read the information on this link to see if you need a visa to travel to Europe and to obtain all of the information for obtaining a Schengen Visa. International students may have to travel to San Francisco to obtain their visa.

Can a senior go on Juniors Abroad?
Yes. However, since juniors have preference, seniors may be put on the bottom of the wait list.

How do I register for a trip?
Registration is in March the year before the trip travels. Information will be sent to all students the first of March each year. Students will sign up for a lottery, coordinated by ASC. The lottery determines the order for registration.

What is Tent City?
Tent City is an event coordinated by ASC and is part of the registration process. Typically, students are assigned a number, determined by the ASC lottery, pitch a tent at that number and are required to spend the night before registration the next day.

How much does the trip cost?
Costs are trip dependent and typically range from $2,000 to $2,800. This is one-half of the total cost, as the university subsidizes the cost approximately 50 percent. This includes all transportation, lodging, meals and required activities. 

What will my total travel costs be?

Your total travel costs consist of two categories:

• Charges for lodging, meals, and other trip expenses. This figure may also include some of the airfare for especially expensive destinations. Everyone signing up for a trip will receive a statement and reminder of these charges included with your spring semester bill. Your $300 deposit is applied toward these charges; half of the remaining balance is due March 1 and the remainder is due April 1. Transportation costs are paid by the university for eligible juniors; this transportation subsidy represents approximately a 50 percent discount of the actual trip cost.

• Out-of-pocket expenses which are not included in the trip charges include passport charges, Visas, cost of passport photos, cost of birth certificates or other documentation needed for passport applications, health-related expenses such as immunizations, spending money for souvenirs, snacks, postcards, stamps, independent meals, and optional excursions, etc. Your faculty trip leader will give you suggested guidelines at your group meetings during spring semester on the amount of spending money to take along for your particular trip. Typical amounts students take range from $200 to $600. Where possible, it is usually best to use ATM cards to obtain cash in foreign countries. Check with your individual faculty leaders to see if this is appropriate for your trip.

• Transfer students will be charged an additional charge, dependent on the number of semesters spent at George Fox.

Is tuition for Juniors Abroad extra?
Not as long as you are enrolled in 12 credits or more. You can include the course as part of your spring semesters block tuition. However, if you go over 18 hours you will be charged for the extra credits.

Do I need a passport?
Yes, everyone needs a passport. A copy of the passport is due the first Friday of spring semester the year that the trip travels.

  • You must apply for your passport by Jan. 1, 2020, or you will NOT be allowed to participate in Juniors Abroad.
  • If you order your passport by Jan. 1, 2020 but do not have it by Jan. 17, 2020,  you will be charged a $200 late fee.

How do I get a passport?

Passport applications for U.S. citizens are available online at this link.

You must have an official copy of your birth certificate (OFFICIAL birth certificates are typically obtained in the county courthouse of the county where you born) and an official passport photo. Detailed instructions and lists of charges are on the passport application. Please read these instructions carefully. You will need to turn in your application and show the supporting documentation at one of the official passport offices; the nearest office to Newberg is the Dundee Post Office in Dundee at 279 SW. 5th Ave. (800-275-8777). Have your photos taken at any place that does passport photos.

Besides a photo for your passport, some trips will require visas, which often require additional passport photos.

Please note that your passport must be good six months after you travel.
Also, if you obtained a passport as a child, you will need to get a new passport now that you are an adult.
It is imperative that you begin the process of obtaining your passport as soon as possible

Steps to getting a passport:
1. Obtain an official copy of your birth certificate (your parents or guardians should have this). If not, you will need to obtain a copy from the county courthouse (NOT the hospital) where you were born. This can sometimes be a time-consuming process and should be done as soon as possible.

2. Obtain a passport application online.
3. Obtain two official passport photos. You may need more depending on your trip.
4. Take money, passport application, passport photo and birth certificate to an official passport office. DO NOT SIGN THE APPLICATION UNTIL YOU ARE AT THE PASSPORT OFFICE.
5. Some trips will require a visa to enter the country. See your trip leader next spring for further information.

International Students
If you are an international student you may also need to obtain visas that U.S. students do not. Please check with your faculty leader or the consulate of the country you will be visiting for more information. It is essential that you begin this process as soon as possible, since it often takes weeks to obtain visas.

What happens to waitlists?
Waitlists are updated periodically throughout the year. There is typically not much movement until the December before the May tour. Between December and the first week of spring semester the wait lists change dramatically. You can find out where you are on the wait list if you go to MyGeorgeFox and look at your spring semester. You can find out how many people are on the wait list by going to the course schedule. The number of students on the wait list is given at the far right.

Can I take another class at the same time?
Not unless you can clone yourself. You cannot double-book classes. You can NOT register for another course that meets on the same night and time as the cross-cultural course. Please make sure that you do not enroll in a Juniors Abroad course at the same time as a required course for your major.

Can I study abroad the same semester that I am enrolled in Juniors Abroad?
Not unless you can be in two places at once. You can go on Juniors Abroad the following year and have the same priority as a junior. You are responsible for contacting the director for the Center for Study Abroad the year of your trip.

Can I audit my Juniors Abroad course?
Yes, you can audit your Juniors Abroad course, but you will not receive college credit. Your obligations for course work may be less than a student taking the course for credit, but you will still need to attend all courses and do work designated by the course instructor. If the audit puts you over 18 credits, you will need to pay for these credits.

Will I need a visa?
Maybe. Most trips do not need visas, but there are usually a few trips where visas are required.

Are immunizations required?
Yes! It is required that everyone have their childhood vaccinations including tetanus, measles, etc. Certain trips to developing countries will REQUIRE additional immunizations. These MUST be obtained or you cannot go on the trip.

Is there a class before the trip?
Absolutely. Classes typically meet approximately eight to ten times throughout the spring semester. Attendance is mandatory.

Does the school provide insurance while I am overseas?
Yes and no. The university provides emergency travel insurance, through insurer AIG, for each student. The university does NOT provide separate major medical coverage for students. Typically, your current insurance, either through the university or through your parents, will also cover you while you are traveling. You are encouraged to check with your insurance carrier about coverage while you are traveling in a foreign country. 

How do I use Juniors Abroad credit in my program?
You must register for GEED 365 Cross-Cultural Experience (2 credits) and GEED 465 (1 credit).  Once you register for GEED 365, you will then be automatically registered for GEED 465 the spring before you leave on the study tour.  Each course will be graded separately.  Students can use the course credits to meet the Intercultural Experience General Education requirement, or upper-division elective credits. If you wish to use the course in lieu of another course, please consult with your academic advisor, the faculty leader and the course's department chair.

What happens if demand exceeds space for a trip?
The Juniors Abroad program offers a variety of attractive destinations each May but cannot guarantee a trip to a specific location. In order to keep groups at a manageable size, trips are typically capped at 20 or fewer. If a trip fills, students will be given priority over non-students, and, among students, juniors will be given priority over seniors. If the number of juniors signed up still exceeds space, the director of the Center for Study Abroad will work with students on waiting lists to match them up with other trips. Students who have not made deposits by the January deadline will have their spots offered to students on the waiting list. Students are encouraged to make a second choice if they are not selected for their first choice.

Can I stay after the group returns home?
Maybe. Airline tickets are purchased as a group. Thus it is up to the individual airline if they will allow a deviation from the group itinerary. Most airlines allow up to 20 percent of the tickets to deviate. There is typically an additional cost for changing the itinerary from the group itinerary. Again, this is determined by the airline. If you would like to change your itinerary, you need to discuss this with the faculty leader as soon as possible after the start of classes in the spring. The faculty member will then contact the travel agent to determine if your itinerary is possible and what the additional cost will be. You must have all of the information, including the actual return dates BEFORE the faculty member can contact the travel agent.

NOTE: Once you leave the group all arrangements are your responsibility.

What if I have further questions?
For answers to general questions about the Juniors Abroad program, policies, eligibility and procedures, or if you need to find out the best place to go to get a response to other questions, contact:

David Martinez, Director, Center for Study Abroad, ext. 2646,

Lynn Scott, Assistant Director, Center for Study Abroad, ext 2150, Study Abroad/Intercultural house (across from Pennington),

For answers to specific questions about the activities and requirements of a particular study tour, see the faculty leaders for that trip.