What it is
The Federal Work Study (FWS) program is a partially funded federal program designed to help students pay for education expenses while gaining valuable work experience. FWS is a need based program awarded to eligible students as part of the financial aid package. The FWS award is called "Federal Student Employment" on the student's financial aid award letter. However, receiving the award does not guarantee the funds or a job. It is the responsiblity of the student to secure a job and earn wages from working.
At George Fox, we believe in making the FWS process mirror the "real world" as much as possible. This allows students to learn job searching skills neeed in the marketplace. Students must search and apply for jobs. Most students will go through an interview process and be expected to provide a resume and/or letters of recommendation. And, just like in the workforce, jobs currently held are not guaranteed either - diligent work performance must be maintained in order to keep a job.
How it Works
Campus jobs are limited, therefore FWS funds and jobs are NOT guaranteed. Students must find a job and work in order to earn up to the award amount on the award letter.
Most students work an average of 8 hours per week during the academic year and are paid the federal minimum wage.
Students are paid on the 15th of each month for hours worked the previous month.
Students receive their paycheck via campus mail, or they may choose to set up automatic deposit through the Human Resources office.
Wages earned are NOT automatically applied to the student's account. A portion, or all of the student's wages, may be appied towards tuition by completing a payroll deduction form through the Student Accounts office. Please contact your Student Account Specialist for more information.
George Fox offers a variety of on campus jobs including: teacher assistants, office employees, food service workers, and physical plant crew members. An advantage of having an on campus job is that supervisors are dedicated to providng a work environemnt that is understanding towards students' academic needs.
How to Apply
- Log into MyGFU
- Select "Idea Center" from the George Fox Resources Menu
- Select "Login to Handshake"
- New users will need to create an account
- Once you are logged in, select "View Your Profilet" in the left navigation
- Select "Documents" near the top right of the screen
- Select "New Document" to upload references, resume, etc.
- Applications are attached to on-campus positions in Handshake
- Select "Jobs" in left navigation and select "On Campus Student Employment" to search for jobs
- Follow the instructions provided in thejob posting on how to apply